Neurological symptoms or anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I really need some help as I've been going through a lot of worry about some symptoms lately that I have been experiencing. A couple months ago, I started having some minor tingling and numbness on the top of my hands. It was most prevalent at night as I would be trying to go to bed. It would go away after shaking my hands and I'd be fine. This happened maybe once a week for about a month.

Around the same time, I started having minor twitching in my body. Fast forward a few weeks later, my tingling has become more persistent and is occurring multiple times throughout the day and has now spread to my feet as well. Along with this, my muscle twitching has gotten worst and is happening throughout my whole body pretty much all day.

About a week ago, I also started getting this head twitch or tic that would occur once every few minutes.

I'm really panicking and worried that I've developed some kind of neurological issue or disorder. I have a history of having some health anxiety and have had anxiety issues for 4-5 years. Never have I had issues like this before. Are these things that I need to be concerned about or am I just having an anxiety spell? I have an appointment with a neurologist in a couple weeks. Does anyone else have these issues?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I developed a slight head twitch my anxiety was severe and my health anxiety consumed me. It felt like a slight involuntary jerk upward and slightly to the side. It happened when I felt my feelings rise and I did then begin to focus on it.

When my anxiety calmed, this calmed too.

The tingling sounds to me like anxiety as well, especially as you can pin point it's process from beginning to now. Your focus on it makes it increase and then alter: it begins in hands...now it's more often...now this happens everywhere, etc.

I would visit your GP and explain your anxiety and allow them to put your mind at rest. The tricky part then comes when you have to believe what they tell you... But given time you will smile

• Posted

It's very obvious that your anxiety is feeding your symptoms. The more you read, and the more you learn the worse you become.

You won't get any relief till you see the neuro.

I'd call and see if Its possible to get an earlier appointment.

• Posted

Hey Kevin. Omg this so sounds like me. Literally I've had pins and needles in my left hand but also my twitches omg they're awful. Right now I feel like a spider is crawling up my leg and I have CONSTANT twitches in my calves and legs and my thumb is proper twitching now! sad

Do you also get them all the time? I'm convinced I have als sad

• Posted

Please understand that the more you research, the more anxiety builds up and the more you twitch.

See a neuro, get the emg test.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm really going through a hard time right now, so any reassurance I can get is great.

• Posted

I believe part of having an anxiety is nuerological exhaustion. Thats my own thought on it. It makes sense.i also think it something the bosy recivers from once the anxiety is under better management . And in hopefully ten years from now they will have a way to reset all this. Medical breakthroughs has hope.
  • Posted

It's tough because the symptoms of anxiety can also be the symptoms of some other really scary stuff.  I am going back to therapy and have an appointment tomorrow, but I wish I could get into a neuro appointment sooner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.