Neurothapy after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

It is fourteen weeks since my TKR and for some reason I now have Neuropathy in my feet and calves in both legs. It is so painful and uncomfortable. I have been given Gabapentin but that didn't help at all. It caused other problems so I am now trying to wean myself off it.I have never had problems with my toes and feet before.

My knee itself is still painful and I have quite a bit of swelling. All in all not feeling too happy at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced this? My consultant said it rarely goes away.My doctor says it could. Should I see a neurologist?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also ended up with  neuropathy . . first of all, meralgia in the thigh which was agony, and now neuropathy in the feet . . mine is not too bad I must say, mainly a burning and tingling feeling which does often make sleep a bit difficult.  Gabapentin was impossible for me, causing all sort of weird effects, and they gave me Lyrica, which i find quite different, although it is basically a very similar drug. it's much more expensive, which may be why they prescribed gabapentin first.  Neither I nor my husband could take gabapentin . . we were really quite mentally unstable taking it.  I hope it does go away for you . . I'm now two years post op, and it hasn't gone yet!

• Posted

I had a left TKR in February 2014. Sparing you the hideous details , it became infected,removed for 3 months with IV antibiotics at home , new one replaced. I developed neuropathy in that leg, completely numb with weird terrible pain from knee down thru foot. Since it is over 2 years, my neurologist says it will not go away. Tried Gabopentin with no help. Lyrica has been a miracle drug for it. All symptoms are not gone but it is so much better!! I feel for you....my neurologist said if it doesn't recover in first 18 months, basically it won't. Best wishes.

• Posted

Agree with yu about Lyrica . . so much better than Gabapentin, but they always prescribe the latter first!  That pain is incredible isn't it. . . there is nothing I have ever experienced to compare it to.  So glad you are 'better' now!

• Posted

I've had the results of a blood test today. My vitamin B12 levels are quite low so I have had the first of five B12 injections today.Neuropathy is one of the sympyoms of low levels of this vitamin. I really hope the injections help.

• Posted

Hi Sarilice, I had my TKR 16 wks ago  and it seemed to be going ok but now I have sciatica and pain in my ankles and calf and shin. I went back to work as giving up my job is not an option but I get the same pains on my days off anyway. I tried Lyrica but it made me ill. My GP said he will refer me to a pain clinic if it doesnt go. I really wasnt expecting pain elsewhere, the pain of the TKR was bad enough.
  • Posted

I too thought the pain recovering from TKR was enough but now the pain from the Neuropathy is bad and overshadows the knee pain.My toes are constantly hurting and burning on both legs and the tingling goes up both legs. It's so odd as I have never had anything like this before. Maybe the B12 injections will help.

• Posted

My TKR was in June and I have the same problem. Luckily I have a fantastic physio who explained that the problem is coming from the joint on the outside bone of the knee( fibula) it has tightened up after surgery and the sciatic nerve runs through it . It has squeezed and squashed the nerve causing ankle and foot neuropathy. After manipulation and acupuncture it's now getting so much better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.