New and old

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys

Its been a minute since I posted. I have been so busy. MyTKR was April 28, 2015. When back to work after 12 weeks. There was no pain, I was walking without a cane, still taking PT. WELL two days after I started back to work, the pain started. I am back on pain meds. My doctor prescribed Celebrex. It hadnt helped much, I am doin g six more weeks of PT becausemy knee is not completely straight. What's a lady to do? Im still stiff in the morning. Im exhausted

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh honey, you were doing well to get back to work at 12 weeks. I am 21 weeks po and I resigned because I am still in pain with no med. The anti inflams and paracetomol make me feel sick so I try to do withour them. I stiffen up if I sit too long so I try to make sure I exercise and get out of any chair I am on every half an hour (doesn't always work as sometimes I fall asleep or get into a book). I think that your pain is not unexpected have a good read of this site and you will see you were lucky to go back to work after only 12 weeks. I hope you feel much better about it all very soon. Go and have a chat with your consultant or GP, they will reassure you.
    • Posted

Have you tried the opiate family. Even if it's just codeine.  Sometimes being in too much pain can halt your progress.  Another thing to try are the lidocaine patches. They are ok so long as you are not allergic to plasters
  • Posted

Going back to work means that you have changed your rhythm.  You are no longer exercising and resting as you did at home.  In the morning when you wake up, do gentle exercises in bed. Slide your foot up towards your backside as far as you can tolerate (don't push it too much yet). Then slide back down with your foot pointing towards your chin and push the back of your knee into the bed, hold for a count of 10-ish. Do this a few times until you feel comfortable. Take your meds.  When you get to work change  the height of your chair, but a box under your desk and every now and then stand and stretch your leg.  Front and back. You are also wearing different shoes to work than you would wear at home, so your knee is at a different angle, always take that into account.  

Hope have been of help

• Posted

I was so please to see your post. I had TKR in mid June and have not been back to work yet, but am expecting to go on 6/10/15. I will follow your hints from now until then too (except for the box under the desk - which I will start on return). Thanks so much. 
    • Posted

You are most welcome.  Make the most of exercising in bed, you will be surprised how much of a difference it makes, especially as its non-weight bearing. Remember you are not obliged to stay on meds if they are not working.  Go back to your GP and insist on something else
  • Posted

I finally found some pain meds that work for me. I take 50mg of Tramadol and 300 mg of Gabapentin twice a day. I am 11 months out and still take this combo. Good luck and remember you need to do your exercises every day.
  • Posted

I've found that my problems with both knees started after returning to work, as I sit at a desk at home.  That's when it stiffens up and is no longer straight (which is important for walking comfortably).  Glad to hear that you are getting some help though...and good pain control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.