New Citalopram user

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

I wasprescribed Citalopram by my doctor 3 weeks ago for depression and I am taking 20mg a day, and I would have expected to see some improvements by now, but my mood is still all over the place and I am experiencing side effects such as nausea, dry mouth, headaches, sometimes restless and some sleep problems as well.

I thought the tablets would have kicked in by now and the side effects have settled down as my body is getting used to them, any advise?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi liz,ive been on them just over 3 weeks now.I still get the headaches and i sleep well but have really strange dreams.I take it from day to day as the doc told me it can take up to 4 weeks or so to really take affect.But i try to stay positive to which helps.as i suffer anxiety it gets hard.But i also went on these for mega panic attacks and ive not had one for 2 weeks(touch wood!)so they must be doing something as i was having one every week.Good luck. smile kim.
  • Posted

Hi Liz

I was on them for 6/7 weeks and decided to stop taking them last Wednesday as I felt worse on them than off them.

I did the crazy 'cold turkey', thankfully nothing major, Saturday was my worse day but since then have had no withdrawal symptoms.

I was prescribed them for anxiety, all they did was make me depressed and manic.

Definitely not the tablets for me.

Stay on them longer and try and give them more time - your doctor might increase the dose and as long as you are happy about that then go for it.

Personally the thought of increasing any higher than 20mg for me was a definite no, no.

I'm too much of a person who likes to be in control of her own life and these tablets took all that away from me.

Good luck and keep posting here - it really does help.

Melbi x

• Posted

Thanks guys,

I am due another visit with my GP on Friday to see how I am getting on, well I am still at work but going into the really stressful period so had hoped to see a marked improvement before then... ho-hum.....

Just fed up of mood swings and being an emotional wreck and crying my eyes out if someone looks at me the wrong way....

• Posted

Hello everyone, well 1st of all I'm not sure if I'm posting right as I've just joined today and I'm a bit confused of how it works..

Anyway I'm going to give it a try..

I have been prescribed citalopram 10 mg by my Dr today to treat my anxiety and panic attacks..

I've heard and read it can make you feel " funny" even more nervous and anxious to start with.. 

It's this true? If it happens shall I carry on? Shall I stop?

I hope someone can see this post and send me a reply 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hiya Jose, I've just joined this site aswell. I've been on Citalopram for 3 weeks now, the first 9 days on 10mg & then up to 20mg. I feel really anxious & jittery but up until tonight I'd stopped feeling weepy, but I've just had a cry because I really don't feel like going in work tomorrow! I was on citalopram for about 8 years up until last year & was feeling good so stupidly came off them & the depression & anxiety crept back.

I'd say stick with it though, from what I remember from last time I was on them they do work, I just don't remember them taking this long

Marie smile

• Posted

Hello Hohum, first of all thanks for your reply! Well I took the tab about 1 pm

And couple of hours after I started to " feel it" having chills, bit shaky, then a hot face, very " hyper" generally " funny" but now as the day has gone past I feel more relax and those sympthoms seem to be wearing off a bit.. Let's see when I take my dose tomorrow.. Hopefully the body will get use to it soon and will feel better! Gona stick to it as only one day so far and see how I feel..

I hope they will work good for you soon again and I hear you about working tomorrow! Luckily I'm off till Monday! Anyway sometimes a good cry is good! Thanks Again for replying and good luck to us all! 

Jose 

• Posted

Yep I get the funny feeling too, heart racing, jittery, feeling of restlessness & also hot flushes & just not feeling right. I'm hopeful that it'll get better soon though & it's just nice knowing that the tablets are there to help in the long run, I'd be a lot worse without them.

hope you feel better soon too, it's nice to chat to so done going through the same thing, it's hard to talk to friends about it cos they just don't get it & I don't want to worry my family.

if 1974 in your username is your date of birth, snap, mine is too, must be a 40 thing lol

Marie

• Posted

Yesss hopefully those feelings will go away soon! My Dr told me today 4 to 5 days! But I think he didn't want to say longer! But as you said we need to keep thinking is for the benefit in the long run! And I agree is nice to talk to someone who knows what this is about !

Indeed I was born in 1974! So it must be a 40th's thing! 

But hey live beging at 40 right!? 😄

• Posted

It will! I'm trying to stay positive 😄
    • Posted

Hey guys I've been on 20mg for 9 days now, have had all the bad reactions also but starting to feel a whole lot better today. This site has helped a lot. Nice to know your not alone going thru this. Power thru! We'll all be ok!
    • Posted

Hi Carol, glad to hear you are feeling a lot better! So there is hope! Lol 

Yes I think this site and forum is very helpful and don't feel so alone now! 

Deff! We will all be ok! 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.