New Developments

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have posted here before but I wish to report new developments.

I had the Green Light Laser Op on April 7. I was foleyed for the better part of a month because I still couldn't pee.  Then on May 2 I had a heart attack that required surgery.  Again i had to be foleyed because they had to concentrate on cardiac issues and put UR issues aside.

I still couldn't pee.  It was found that my bladder muscles were very weak so I was taught CIC.  My regimine is for 4X per day. For the first week I cathed using Speedicath by Coloplast.

Then I decided to try without cathing....Success!  I find that when I urinate I pass 300-400 ml. (Sometimes 500 ml if I wait.) I cathed a few times after urinating to see what I was "leaving behind."  It is between 50-60 ml which to me is OK.  I have yet to report this development to my urologist because I want to be sure it's not a fluke.

Anyone else ever hear of a bladder "waking up" before?

Tom

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

JimJames will soon be referring you to his experience, and indeed, I have every reason to think it is a very common experience. Happy for you.
  • Posted

Yes. 4 years ago I had Green Light Laser. After 8 months of recovery I was doing great until I was involved in an auto accident 3 years later. The trauma caused my retention to recur. I was offered TURP but refused. Then I was told that if I wait long enough my system would return to normal. The meantime I was saddled with a Foley catheter. After 8 months I requested CIC self catheters. Upon receiving a shipment of 360 CIC's, my system suddenly returned to about 75% of normal which it still is after another 8 months. I am 86 years old and call it a miracle and I hope it lasts.

• Posted

Lester, you wrote about 8 months of recovery after Green Light laser procedure.  Could you say more about that recovery period?  I had the Green Light procedure nearly 4 months ago; it left alot of hanging residue and inflammation , so 2 months ago, I had a follow-up procedure (Gyrus Turp) to clean that up.  For the last 4 months, I've been left totally incontinent, requiring 4 or more Depends per day, and they're pretty much soaked when I change.  I'm doing Kegel and other exercises under guidance of a physical therapist, but I've yet to see any change.   Did you have anything like this during those 8 months?

• Posted

Not as bad as yours but I had a lot of blood loss. If the same doctor did both procedures and left you in that condition you should consult a medical malpractice attorney.
  • Posted

Interesting to note that there is so much mention of self catheterisation in the USA but little mention of it being used in the UK. I think if I got to that point I would have an op to improve things.
  • Posted

Tom, I'm no health profressional but I would propose a theory. I suspect that your bladder neck and/or bladder reacted to the Green Light and then extended in-dwelling Foley cath time during your heart procedure by going into a spasm of some sort. Then, when you relieved it of some of its duties for a while by self cath it settled down and returned to some semblance of normalcy. I hope by now things have regularly returned to normal and you have done away with the catheter in general. I had a bad experience with a Green Light myself that had to be aborted and changed over to a turp. I ended up having to have a foley for close to 2 weeks after the procedure

Lawrence06345

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.