New diagnoses

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am newly diagnosed hpertthyroidism from random blood test .

i have been told to stop my walks and diet that I recently lost 10 kilograms on .

I am overweight.

resting heart rate in the nineties I have been anxious and suffer panic attack S for a very long time .

has anyone else had to stop moderate walking as I have been told just to walk around the supermarket ????

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alanalee, I have the same disease.I exercise all the time to zumba. It makes feel better. Dr told me to continue to. I also walk. Will get surgery next week. Hope you start to exercise also, Get a second opinion. Maria
  • Posted

Hi Alanalee

I too have the same, diagnosed from a routine blood test, had lost weight and resting heart rate in the 90s.  I have Graves disease.  I started treatment last week and my Endo told me not to undertake any strenuous exercise.  I am still gently walking the dog once a day.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thankyou everyone

I am seeing an endocrinologist , he has put me on 10 mg of carbimozol

Daily. (Low dose from what others seem to be on).

I recently went overseas and walked huge amount of kIlometers daily and felt good.

I left and came back the same weight

(In the overweight for my height range).

I was walking 2 to 5 k 's per day with my dogs until my diagnoses 2 weeks ago .

I lost weight before this on a diet.

Im now sedentary and more anxious and panicky and worried about this condition .

How things can change overnight

I take low dose Xanax for panic attacks

I've been on it .5 of a milligram for 10 years ( under dr supervision )

How things can change in a day

I hope to be able to walk again when I'm sorted out

sad

• Posted

Hello Alanalee:

The carbimazole should slow down the thyroid gland and it takes a bit of time to work.  Hopefully it will work okay on you.

You can live a good life, and we live in good times with modern medicine, so cheer up, this will be sorted out.  Just do not do a lot of exercise for a while.  If the pulse (heart rate ) goes too high it could be dangerous, so that is why they asked you to stop walking.

A famous American Actor  Don Knotts had Hyperthyroidism, and he lived a long life.

Keep us posted on how you do, we care!

Shelly

• Posted

Thankyou Shelly

I feel a lot better now I understand a little more

Early days for me and I'm tired and doing not much

Thankyou to everyone on this forum

We can all keep each other informed and supported smile

• Posted

Hello Alanalee:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have hypothyroidism.  I know both sides of the disease well.

Symptoms of Hyperthyroid disease is : Weight Loss that occurs despite diet, fast heart rate, nervousness, sweating feeling HOT, insomnia, Heart Paliptations, eye bulging or thyroid eye problems.  There are more but these are common.

The reason they want you  to stop walking is you may lose weight so fast and your pulse or heart rate may go TOO HGH.  The bad thing is your heart can be effected by the disease.

You should see an Endocrinologist  who knows the thyroid and they have a med that can slow down the thyroid.  Also it may settle down in time.

They test women now-a-days and never used to until about the 1980's.  Thyroid problems hit women more than men and they know more about it now and can treat it better.

Any questions, just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, I have hyper I did tell him he put me on Fosmac and told me I can keep during what I was during. I also am on heart medicine for palipations and heart murmuer. I do have eye problems like swelling on the eye lids which I put hot compress on But none of the drs told me to quit exercises. Maria
    • Posted

Hello Maria45585:

It is wise to not do exercising while Hyperthyroid because exercise can raise your heart rate and if it goes to high, it would start to race and could cause an arrythmia or an out of sync beat to occur.

Since you are on heart meds, it may control the beat enough and not allow you to go too high.  It is a good idea to get a Fit Bit or take a pulse measurement during exercise.  Alanalee did not mention any medication for her heart in her post and may not have the control you have.

I hope this helps. Stay well.

Shelly

• Posted

HI SHelly, Didnt know about the exercise thing. I been staying the same not lost any weight. I guess I been exercising all my life,so I dont thin k its affected me. I t does help that he put me on heart medicine. I am getting surgery for the thyroid here soon.. I have gone though alot of things like frozen shoulder,cancer,and the heart murmuer. Thanku for letting me know about the exercise. Maria
    • Posted

Hello Maria:

I hope surgery will help you out on the thyroid.  If they take a lobe out the other half may compensate enough for you.

I know doc's today are so busy and can't explain why exercise may need to be halted.  Our heart uses the thyroid hormone and T4 can stimulate it too much if there is a lot floating around in the blood stream.

Any questions just ask, I am happy to help.

Stay well, and let me know how you do on your surgery,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, Thanku I will let you know. I get surgery done this week tuesday,kinda nervous But I know its for the best.  Maria
    • Posted

Maria,

How did your surgery go! I hope you are recovering well and I hope it helps your symtoms!

Heather

• Posted

Hi Heather, Did get the surgery. Notice alot of energy But still not feeling so great. It takes time to get better. Had wonderful team. Dr Norman and the other Drs great. They make you feel at home. Didnt get a sore throat. Actually after surgery I went and ate and saw the Florida Aquarium. Maria
    • Posted

Maria! That is awesome news! Happy to hear went well. I am now schedule for two weeks from now sad ugh so nervous about it. Meds were harming liver, and levels keep rising despite decreased doseage. What did you drs say for down time in terms of limiting access to others? Ive read 3-5days up to a week, but my dr sadi 24/48 hrs? Were you on a low-iodine diet before hand to prep? Curious how they determine dosage of iodine as well. 
    • Posted

Hi Heather, Are you going to Dr Norman for surgery? It wasnt that bad,You will do fine. I woke up after surgery just to have a inch cut. Wasnt even tired. We went and ate and went site seeing. They do recommend me to take 5 calcuim pills a day. Usually you have to get your calcuim tested 2 months later. There was alot of people getting it done that day. Let me know how it goes. Will be praying for you. You will be fine.  Maria
    • Posted

Hi Maria, Not sure I am in the same area, because not familiar with that doctor. I am in the north east of the US.  So far do not have to have surgery, I am scheduled for the RadioActive Iodine treatment first, nervous, and bad timing with the holidays, but hoping all goes well.

Thank you for the prayers!!

Heather

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.