New Diagnosis... feeling a bit lost

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So after months of feeling unwell I have been diagnosed with an over active thyroid.

Doctor has referred me to a consultant. She has put me on a very low dose of tablets but I am notallowed to take them while I'm breast feeding! I'm torn as obviously I want to feel better but I really don't want to stop breast feeding. Has anyone else experienced this? I intend to wait a couple of weeks, then I will stop breast feeding & start the medication.

My symptoms have been -tiredness, unable to sleep, muscle weakness, anxiety, being very hot allthe time, losing weight but eating loads, needing a poo every time I eat, loose bowels, headaches & low libido.

Are these pretty 'normal' symptoms of someone with an overactive thyroid?

I'm a bit shocked really, I don't understand why this has happened? Is it something I've done - poor diet etc?? Am I going to have it forever??

Feeling a little lost - any help/advice/experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Those are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Some people take holistic supplements such as Melissa and Motherwort and acetyl-L-carnitine.

I am pretty sure my Graves disease was caused by stress. Don't know about other people. I have heard some people go into remission. Though my disease has improved a lot and my dose of medication is very very low, I still get a rapid heartbeat if I stop the Methimazole altogether. I am now taking 5 mg alternating with 2.5 mg of Methimazole. When my thyroid TSH test is low, I add acetyl-L-carnitine to bring it up.

Linda

• Posted

Hi lovelylady. Sorry to hear you're feeling so unwell. You'll have your hands full looking after a young baby when you feel so poorly.

Graves is an autoimmune condition and there is no cure.It's not caused by anything you've done. It's often brought on by stress, and can follow childbirth. The thyroid symptoms can be brought under control with medication, and you can go into remission.This happened to me, and then it recurred. My endo suggested a more permanent solution - either surgery or radioactive iodine.I went for the RAI, and I've never regretted it. I feel fine now.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Marigold

• Posted

Thank you for your very helpful replies it's a lot more than what I got out of my doctor although to be fair I was a bit shell shocked so didn't really think of anything to ask there and then! Yes my lo is 11 months and into everything!

Thanks again x

• Posted

Hi again.There are a few of us on Graves Part 4. We all support each other, and you are welcome to join us.

Marigold

xx

• Posted

Hello LovelyLady, sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly. Those symptoms you described are identical to the ones I've had. I'm on 'block and replace' at the moment and was given the option of RAI, which I declined for the time being. Bear in mind, that if you opt for RAI, you cannot be near your baby for 2 weeks!

Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Stefania

• Posted

Thank you Marigold, I'll have a look.

Thanks for the reply Stefania, hope you're feeling better using this method? Oh no, that's not even an option for me then sad Hoping I'll get my consultant appointment through soon.

I've actually been feeling quite a bit better than I have been. IBS seems to be settling, put a couple of pounds on and generally feeling a bit better than I have in months. I have not started medication though. Is it possible for symptoms to come and go - thyroid to go up and down so to speak? I'm a bit confused and don't have blood tests for another 3weeks.

Thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.