New diet that has worked for me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi Inhave had ibs and DD for the past fifteen years I am 54, for many years i was in and iut if hispital with accute flareups requiring hispital stays. About two years ago i was at my wits end and started searchung for DD diets. I found an american diet which has worked for me really well, it is a basic idea that our body cannot cope with protein and carbs at the same time, so i either eat protein or carb, there must be three hours in between each meal if you are mixing I could. Not believe how much this helps have not been in hospital for eighteen months, I also take chai seeds and flaxseeds three times a day I know no seeds, but it has really helped me, it keeps me regular and no i have had no problems, also a product called inulin which is great for inflamation. This has worked for me, i do soak my flaxseed, and chai seeds, I dont have milk or natural yogurt as i find this upsets my stomach. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bev

That's really helpful. I'm 52 and this has been a real shock to get this but I just need to manage it . What is inulin ? Where do you get it ? What exactly does it do ?

Dawn

• Posted

HI 

If you look online at some of the information on inulin, it is good for getting rid if internal  bodyfat around the organs, but has shown it being helpful for stomach inflamation, you can get it off amazon.

• Posted

I'm with you, Dawn. Also 52 and got diagnosed in ER on Tuesday morning. Wasn't told about liquid diet or anything. Got IV meds and Augmentin and Flagyl. Found if I keep hydrated, I don't get a bad taste from the Flagyl. Wednesday and Thursday weren't great. Now eating very lightly--chicken noodle soup no veggies; cottage cheese; mashed potatoes; ice pops. Tea with no milk or sugar (cuz I can't drink coffee black). Don't know how long to keep this up.....on antibiotics til this coming Friday....then try a "heavier" diet?  

• Posted

Hi Nini,

The antibiotics will wipe out all your good gut flora as well as the bad guys that are causing the infection.  Don't forget to take a good mix of probiotics such as LIVE yoghurt, kefir (a fermented drink you can get in most supermarkets - usually kept near the milk and yoghurt!) and saurkraut if you can manage it (use it as a pickle).  Start as soon as you can as you've had loads of antibiotics already.  

If you're on Cipro just beware of any strange aches and pains, especially in your legs.  If you get them, the leaflet says you should stop taking the tablets and see your doctor.  These are very strong antibiotics.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi Nini

It's awful isn't it. I just can't get it it to go away. Since Sunday I have been mostly on liquid but I did have some chicken today.

I do have laxitives in powder form every day to get things moving , not much happens I will say . I haven't been on antibiotics as I haven't been infected . I take paracetamol every day . If I didn't have the pain I could cope with the bland boring diet , it's just the constant pain in the left hand side. It can be mild or awful , like it was last weekend,, but it is everyday 😖.

I hope it gets better for you soon , Dawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.