New Doctor and her opinion on supplements

Posted , 8 users are following.

Went to a new women’s doctor today who was very expensive but oh so worth it.

Turns out I too cannot handle progesterone so going on estrogen only for a few months . I have 0 yes that is  zero ! Estrogen . 

No wonder I feel so awful !!

Anyway I took all my supplements that I’ve spent many $$$ on and she basically said no amount of supplements can replace estrogen . 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

She's right, no supplement can replace estrogen. It's great when you find a doctor who knows what all this is about. Hope it all works out for you. xxoo

• Posted

Yes she was great ! So patient and didn’t rush me at all.... but insurance didn’t cover so you get what you pay for $500!!! Agh!! 
    • Posted

Yes, I've paid that much before but then she wanted to do an ultrasound. That little number was going to cost me about $2700.00! I said no thanks and goodbye!

• Posted

Wow !!! She can bill my insurance for that and blood tests etc but not the  new trend which is a ‘concierge fee’ . If I’m paying that I want a glass of champagne and truffles when I walk in ! 
  • Posted

Im glad you got this cleared up. Estrogen is the mood queen of the hormones, and if you are low then maybe this alone will help. I too could not tolerate the progesterone. Im tempted to go back on hrt with a new one that my new insurance covers. It was the one that i wanted initially but couldnt afford at the time.

DHEA is another adrenal hormone that is also good for helping raise the endorphins.

im starting on this one now..i cant give up either. 

onward and upward. keep me posted

x0x0x

• Posted

Hi Mauiblue !

I think mine is Mylan? Not sure if you’ve heard of that or what is the name of the one you want  ? Yes she said DHEA is good but I have absolutely no estrogen ... I’m a walking corpse 🤣 basically so no amount of supplements can make up for that . 

Yes I have to pay out of pocket 😖 but getting stable first priority I’ll just have to cut costs elsewhere . 

All this should be FREE to women ! They spay animals for free nowadays but don’t help women ? My appt was $500 😩

• Posted

oh my gosh that was an expensive appt. She better be good as bloody hell...xcuse the french.

You arent alone Lori. I have NO ESTROGEN as well. Zippo

Yes its like being a walking corpse. I hate that im a shell of my former self, its so demeaning, demoralizing. I had it going on 2 yrs ago, even whilst in peri i was a go go go person.

I have a good feeling about your doc really...you will get squared away and when you do, let me know what you did !

xox

• Posted

Here’s hoping love .... cost a bloody fortune !

Was cringing whilst writing the check . Heard good things about estrogen patch only then adding progesterone every 3 months ..... we’ll see. I’m definitely better off the bloody combo patch ... that’s dangerous stuff !! 

• Posted

Definitely sounds like a more balanced approach especially since the progesterone is no bueno for you nor me. Time will tell just be patient.

x0x0

• Posted

I agree.  All of this should be free.  If all the doctors were more educated about it then we wouldn’t have to go the alternative route and pay out of pocket.  This site has been a life saver!
    • Posted

Yes without this site and not hearing of any other women around me going through the same thing ... I would have lost it ! I had no clue about Peri and meno apart from hot flashes and missing periods . It’s a crime as 50% of women have a hard time and 50% sail through it . 
  • Posted

She is absolutely correct. When your hormones are that out of balance no supps or diet or exercise can fix them. Only replacing the hormones correctly will help. You are extremely lucky to have found a doctor who has the knowledge and care to help you. I found one too and he has saved me. I'm extremely fit and lean and my diet is close to perfect but when I entered peri it made no difference at all. I suffered from extreme mood problems that have only been helped with bio identical hormones. Only advice I can give is just be patient and things will turn around.

Good luck!!

• Posted

That's exactly what my doctor told me am trying hard to keep taking estriol.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.