New dog = sky high anxiety and depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Me and my fiance have always wanted a dog. His parents have always owned dogs and we have regularly looked after them if they have gone on holiday etc. We moved in together a year ago and planned that this summer we would get a dog. We had done lots of research and seen many dogs adoption shelters. We found a 14 month old German Shepherd and fell in love with her. Last Friday we picked her up and I was so excited. A few hours after we got her home, I had this sudden awful feeling that I couldn't explain. The next day I was okay, but in the afternoon I just cried all afternoon. The same thing happened the next day, and today...

I feel so awful as she is a good dog, no issues and has settled in well. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking that we made a mistake and that this is so overwhelming and that I don't want her. I just want my old life back which is so selfish.

Can anyone offer any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

All new things take time to get use to. A dog can be very therapeutic for this condition. Give it time. Also, how are things going? It’s natural to worry but maybe make a list of the pros and cons.

• Posted

aw enjoy your dog as much as you can! i had a new kitten last summer and severe depression so i understand you, think or your dog as a blessing in disguise, if you walk your dog daily, i am terrified of alsatians so enjoy it where you are. we saw our cat as something we could have which wasn't too strenuous and got me through each day. i wish you luck and take it day by day.

• Posted

I have depression and anxiety and she is now 8 and I got very overwhelmed at the beginning too and then i was put off work and I honestly believe she saved my life cause I live alone and she was like my saving grace...now though that I'm back working she has crazy seperation anxiety and even when im at work I stress cause I just want to get home to her. Just hang on girl....it is VERY overwhelming and it is alot of work but there is nothing more than a dogs love when you have a really bad day and they can feel it and they can be sooo therapeutic. Your dog will be alot bigger but I have a 6 pound dog and she is my little bed buddy...u will get attached...just give it time. A puppy is hard at first...but just push through...keep people updated on here on how you are making out...its normal to be overwhelmed...

• Posted

i know exactly how you feel, i too suffer from depression and anxiety and my jasmine is 11. i love her more than life itself and would die for her. i live back at my parents and we have lots of rescue animals, 4 other dogs, goats, sheep, horses but jas is my soul mate and too has saved my life. when i go out i miss her so much and i thank god she came into my life. love and light to you both x

• Posted

Hi Laura - it'll take time to adjust. How does your fiance feel about this? has he similar doubts? Dogs are very receptive to human moods - especially female dogs. Give it time, the feelings may diminish. Interesting though - I have always wanted a dog, have the means and the time for one, but keep making excuses to myself.

• Posted

Hi this is common when we get a new pet in our life. It is because they are unknown and you panic thinking they will never fit in or you can't cope with them. Give it time and she will soon become a major part of your family.

I had 3 cats I have lost in the past and am now on my 4th. I can't live without a cat but this current one was a nightmare at first. He is totally different from my last one in every single possible way, and I thought I had made a bad mistake. He was snarly, unaffectionate, bad tempered etc. But in a couple of months we got more used to each other and now I love him just as much as my others.

You will be the same with the dog. Enjoy her. x

• Posted

agree about cats, i will never have children and currently my 1 year old is lying at my feet fast asleep and my big boy is under my bed asleep.

• Posted

hi,

i will just take time to adjust. any change is hard but trust me i love my dog jasmine more than life itself. i dont have children but over the years we have (living back at parents) have had so many rescue animals. they are hard work but you do get so much from them. my jasmine is now 11 and i have cherished every moment and would not change it for the world. you always get one in a life time who you love with your heart and soul.if i go out i miss her so much and i thank god that she came into my life. she was found on a duel carriageway and luckily someone saved her and she has given me unconditional love and loyalty. i cant explain but she is my life, sleeps with me, well now shes older in her own bed but i do talk to her and she knows when im sad and more than compensates for everything. i would die for her, that is how much i love her.. people think im mad, im not just different things for different people.

but it isnt for everyone and if you do decide you do not want the dog, please find it a loving home but also dont beat yourself up about it. it doesnt make you a bad person at all. i wish you all the very best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.