New Flare Up

Posted , 5 users are following.

As a suffer with DD for nearly a year I'm now in the middle of a Flare Up.

iv been proscribed anti B, Metronidazole and Co-amoxiclav.

1 each 3 times a day.

Does anyone have any information about any reactions to these drugs.

K

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've read that to begin recovering from a flare up (and I've only learnt this recently post my 2nd flare-up) is to fast for at least a couple of days to allow your system to rest and then follow a low residue diet until you are feeling better to begin introducing real food.  Again, lots of conflicting information out there about what you can and cannot eat however, your body does change as you get older and what you can eat and digest when younger, is harder as you get older.  I've posted somewhere else in reply to someone earlier but someone gave me this list to avoid altogether:

Gluten, all diary, tea, coffee, wine, strawberries, blackberries, bananas

I must have looked like I was in shock as the lady stopped there however, I am going to see a nutrionist to see what advice they can offer.

I hope you feel better and definitely get some rest.  You should be able to look up the meds you've been given on the NHS site for lots of info.

• Posted

Hello Laura

Thanks for you useful advise.

Please let me know what your nutrionist says.

Thanks

Kieran

• Posted

Hi Kieran, I will definitely let you know how I get on.  I'm not sure if I mentioned before but I've read it on other posts on here a while back that slippery elm is good.  I am going to check with the nutritionist but I know that Pukka makes a powder that contains linseed, physillium husk, slippery elm (and something else).  Basically this is partly fibre but also the linseed and slippery elm line the gut with a sort of mucus as a way of preventing anything catching in the diverticula.  I hope this makes sense but do have a look at their site - the guy Sebastian is very knowledgeable but do check with your doctor.  Hope this helps a bit.
  • Posted

a "Low FODMAP Diet" is a list of foods that help give your intestines a rest...the foods do not aggrivate your insides...i never heard of it till last year...i have used it a couple times since then and it works wonders...at least it gives you something to eat and some nutrition...with just liquids i feel like i am starving...it would be easier for you to look it up than for me to explain it in detail...hope it helps.
    • Posted

Hello Mary

iv never heard of this diet but I've looked it up and with a quick look it could be an asset to us DD suffers.

Many thanks for your help

KIERAN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.