New here and I need a support group that could help cope with my hyperthyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I am from the Philippines and am glad I came across this forum to help me better understand what am dealing with right now.  I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in March and been taking up tapdin which is a local brand of methimazole here and inderal.  Initial dosage was 40mg of methimazole and 40 mg inderal then after 2 weeks my endo cut it to 30 mg plus 20 mg inderal daily now.  I feel awesome after two weeks of taking the meds, stopped my palpitations, excessive sweating, weight loss, etc, anxiety and panic attacks.  But taking the meds for two months now, I've been battling with painful muscle cramps in my legs and arms and hips and everywhere my body which suddenly attacks me with little things that I do.  it is awful. I have been an active person doing lots of activities and I feel depressed i cannot do what I used to without feeling pained.  I cannot play the keyboard or play the tambourine without feeling numb and pain after. last time I had a sore throat which is gone now and I believe I had a cold, been coughing a lot. It is been a terrible weather here in the Philippines now. I've been feeling that my voice been hoarse and like sort of a bedroom voice and I would cough it out and sometimes it goes away.  I am really worried.  I gained weight too and been feeling cold lately, it could be that I turned hypo? Is it possible? by the way my endo just tested tsh without testing my t3 and t4 and I guess she just based my meds out of my tsh results.  I am not feeling normal, i feel anxious most of the time especially that I cannot reach my endo coz she is out of the country for a month now.  And any comments about my muscles cramps and muscles pains? it is just so terrifying and I do not want to live this way.  I do not know if it will just subside soon or it will lingers on for till I dont know when. My period is also acting up.  Sorry about this long message I have no one to turn to. Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Muscle problems are very common with this condition.  When you are running hyperthyroid, you lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your muscles and these need to be replaced.  There was a study by an Italian endocrinologist who showed that hyperthyroid patients who took 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine did better than those who did not.  You can get this checked.  I got tested for Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine and I was deficient and my levels were not as high as many when I was diagnosed.  Ask  your doc to test you for this and if deficient start supplementing.
    • Posted

Hi Linda thank you for replying. I don't know much about this L Cartinine except it does help you lose weight. I was wondering where to buy this in the Philippines as most of things here are not available over the counter, well yes not to where I live. Is it in a form of a tablet or powder? My muscles weakness is terrible and I always have muscles pains in my arms. It feels weak then it gets painful when i suddenly move. My eyes are getting dry as well. Can I take this supplement if i manage to find one, even not taking a blood test done or consulting my doctor? She will not be back from the states in 2 weeks time and in no means of contact with her. I am suffering and can't reach her out.

• Posted

I don't know about Health Food stores in the Phillipines.  It is available here in Canada at both Health Food stores and by doctor's prescription.  I got mine by doctor's prescription because at the dosage of 3,000 mg per day, I didn't want to take a lot of capsules so the prescription comes in liquid form.  It wasn't cheap but my insurance covered it.

• Posted

Hi mels66908, when I was hyperthyroid the worst symptom was constant muscle pain and muscle weakness. Hyperthyroidism itself can cause muscle waisting. For more information, you could search for thyrotoxic myopathy. 

After reading about it on this forum I started taking L-Carnitine. Hyperthyroid patients can also have mineral and vitamin deficiencies. For example, Magnesium and Potassium deficiency can cause muscle cramps. There is plenty of Potassium in bananas and coconut water. To get some Mg you could have a bath with a few cups of Epsom salt (Mg Sulphate) or Magnesium flakes (Mg Chloride Hexahydrate). A saturated solution of Mg flakes (called Mg oil) can be applied directly to the skin as Mg is well absorbed. 

You were on a relatively high dose of Methimazole. It would certainly be a good idea to test your thyroxine levels FT4 and FT3 in addition to TSH. Also, your endocrinologist should investigate what is causing your thyroid problems. 

I would recommend avoiding any strenuous physical exertion as long as you are hyperthyroid and your muscles are aching. Instead, rest a lot and if possible drink plenty of mineral water or even coconut water. Try to avoid filtered or boiled water that may lack minerals. 

• Posted

Hello danR thanks for replying. I am researching where to buy these things you mentioned coz as i told Linda most of the stuff where I live in the Philippines are not available over the counter.

My doc told me I have a hyper toxic goiter. She just tested my tsh and based my prescriptions from there. No t3 or t4 as she said it can save me money. I called her office when i started having this muscle cramps and pain and she prescribled me meds for rheumatoid athritis for 5 days which i was thinking if I really have one coz i was not feeling like this before I was diagnosed. I get relief from taking the meds but of course it was just temporary and also I dont want to be dependent with the taking that drug.

I was wondering if muscle weakness and muscle pains are caused by the disease itself or from taking methimazole? I want to follow your advise of taking magnesium oil as it sounds soothing. I cant wait to feel better. I hope my doc lowers my methimazole dosage. I feel depressed and anxious all the time especially if am feeling problems with my body. Thank for being this forum and your support.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up