New Here. Any Help & Advice Would Be Appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

I really hope that someone who has been through the same experiences as me is able to help me. I know that it says that this is a forum to share experiences but I’m really concerned and getting scared.

About 3 months ago now I woke up over couple of nights with chronic acid heartburn. This is something that I have never suffered before so thought it was ‘just a one off’. About 2 weeks after my attack I found that I was suffering with swallowing problems it felt as though something was stuck in my throat I felt that I needed to cough to clear it but it didn’t. Someone suggested that I take Gaviscon Advance which I did for 2 weeks but didn’t help.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me with x28 30mg Lansoprazole. I was told that if I was still suffering after this then to return to see her. Which I was so I booked another appointment but it was to see another Doctor as it was over the Christmas Period and my original GP was on holiday. The other Doctor prescribed me other dose of Lansoprazole and referred me to the ENT Department as I was still suffering with swallowing problems.

Over the Christmas period my symptoms seemed to ease slightly I even managed a few alcoholic drinks and felt fine.

I had my appointment at the ENT Clinic just over a week ago now, the Consultant put a long tube with a small camera attached up my nose to view my larynx which he said looked healthy (thank goodness). He said if I continued with problems then to ask my GP to refer me for an Endoscopy.

Well it’s certainly is playing me up at the moment. Every night I have to sit upright in bed, as it feels even worse if I attempt to lie down. Every morning I’m waking up with a really dry throat. I can feel a slight pain in my throat. During a day the swallowing problems have returned. I’ve never suffered any heartburn since the first initial attack about 3 months ago but the other symptoms are making themselves present.

I’m not massively overweight maybe just a stone or so, I’m not a healthy eater but I am from today I can’t carry on like this so I will definitely change my diet if that will help. Another hurdle is that we are trying for a family at the moment so I’m reluctant to take too many drugs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated thank you.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, i have the same problems but i was actually hospitalised, i went in with severe abdominal pain which they still dont actually know the cause of.

I had a laproscopy (keyhole surgery into my stomach) and they found nothing, in the next couple of days (when i came off my period) they went in again and still found nothing, i then had an ultrasound scan they found nothing, i had a chest and abdo X-ray they found nothing i then had the camera down my throat, which if ayone knows they are having ask for sedation!!!!! and thats when they noticed my Oesophageal sphincter was abnormally large.

I was then allowed to go home with a large dose of pain killers, Domperidone and Omeprazole.

I had my follow up with the hospital where i went in for a MRI scan to see if they could diagnose the abdo pain which they couldnt but they did diagnose me with Oesophagitis.

I was advised to 100% cut out smoking, with the allowance of nicotine patches, gum ect, also 100% cut out fizzy drinks, alcohol and caffine. I have to wait 6 months to see if that has worked if not they will operate to reduce the size of my Oesophageal sphincter.

My syptoms also included vommiting, to the point where i was loosing a dangerous amount of weight, extremly painful heartburn, and extremly painful abdo pain...

I would advise anyone who i could to go and see your GP if you have any of the syptoms in my post or any other posts cos it is a really serious case, also try to cut out cafine fizzy drinks alcohol or smoking out of your lifestyle which i know it is alot to ask anyone but its only for the greater good of yourself, i would just say maybe do not cut them all out at the same time, im 18 and i live of cafine and ciggarettes so i know its not easy but i woudl at least say try and give it a go if its going to help us

Mischa

x

• Posted

Hi It is very difficult when you have several conditions as to knowing what is causing what. I am 62 years old and have for most of my adult life known that I had digestive problems. Gradually over the last few years I have been able to eat less and less. Things came to a head about 2 years ago when I started to get a severe pain in my chest. Things progressed to back pains, vomitting and a loss of 4 stones. I was referred to a gastro man who arranged (lucklily for me) an unltra sound scan on my gallbladder and a camera investigation. The scan showed gallstones and the camera showed a hiatus hernia and 4 cm segment of Barrett's. I very rarely got acid in the mouth but did get creamy tastes.

I had previously been put on Lameprasole but the hospital changed me to Omeprazole. I had my gallbladder out on the 25th April and I was found to have huge to small stones in and embedded in the gallbladder. I have to have regular visits for check up for the hiatus etc and will have to have the camera again in a years time. Recovery has been rocky but I feel better than I did. The weight is stable but I am still unable to eat a decent main meal and I am trying to introduce foods back into my diet. I have vomitted twice since the op.

Eating is an issue with these conditions. The advice throughout this forum is to watch what you eat however difficult and boring that can be. It is better than the pain.

Keep to low fat produce, red meat may be a problem, no fizzy or fruit juices, no citrus fruits, alcohol, chocolate. Some people cannot tolerate salad or fruit. Eat as early in the evening as you can. Have your last drink about 2 hours before bed. It's a real drag but there does not seem to be an easy answer. There does seem to be a lot of people suffering and maybe some clever person will come up with an answer.

Read the advice on the gallstones thread. I felt the support was invaluable throughout.

• Posted

Hi - am going through the same as you. Initial severe heartburn attack but now left with acid taste, indigestion and nausea. Am going to see the doctor next week but reading your post made me calmer. Hopem you are sorted now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.