New here, cipralex withdrawal. Am I normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.  I have been on cipralex and before that citalopram for 14 years.  Over last two years have got my health in shape.  Stopped drinking, got good nutrition and lost three stone.  I was doing very well so decided it was a good time to taper of the escitalopram.   Started taking a half tablet every third day which equates to a 3 mg reduction.  All good so after 3 months dropped it to half a tablet every other day. This equates to a 5 mg reduction (on 20mg).  Two weeks ago started to feel really dizzy, tired lethergic and heavy headed. Kind of detached and no energy.   Was hoping it would subside.  Anyone else felt the same?  Is it normal?  Will it end?   Thanks. Jed

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thats nomal jed could but it looks as thoug you are dropping to fast drop the dosage slower and that will aese withdrawal good luck x
  • Posted

Thanks Maria.  Any idea how long I will feel like this?  Cheers jed
  • Posted

it could take anything up to a year iwas on them for 8 years went cold turkey wouldnt recomend doing that to anyone but going with what other people have written about a year everybody is different jed but do go slowly and you will get there best of luck xxx
  • Posted

Hi Jed ..Maria is right ..go much slower..I took a year to reduce from 40mg to zero..still got withdrawal symptoms for 5 months after that ...but we are all different...just be patient and ride it out 

good luck

• Posted

Thank you. What sort of tapering program would you recommend?  The one I was doing was going to take 16 months with reductions every three months.  Many thanks 
  • Posted

Hi ..Escitalopram is different to Citalopram ..so the dosage reductions are different..wish I could be of more help 

I reduced 10mg of cit over 2 months per reduction 

so...40 30 20 10 .5  zero ..staying at that dose for 2 months 

it's not set in stone ..you may be better doing it differently 

• Posted

...so your reduction over 16 months would seem spot on 
  • Posted

Looking back on your post your plan seems good ..we are talking cross purposes because you are on Escitalopram and I was on Citalopram !!!

you will be fine on that reduction ..but you will get bad days when you want to go back on the meds ...ride it out

if I can be of any help please let me know 

• Posted

Thank you pat just need to keep on keeping  on I spose.  Just fed up of being dizzy .
  • Posted

Believe me feeling dizzy is nothing compared to some withdral effects ..you will get through this 😀😀
  • Posted

Felt okay for first time in 3 weeks yesterday morning and then back to dizzy and tired again in afternoon.  Just hope these good spells start to appear more often and for longer.  Not able to work out which is an issue as worried about weight gain
  • Posted

I am on 20mg and trying to reduce. I can halve the 20mg tablet but what do I do then? Also when I have tried before its the "brain zaps" that get me
  • Posted

I took a half tablet every third day for three months.  So ful, full, half and so on.  Then half every other day. That is where I am now. X
  • Posted

Yes but I am on escitalopram which is twice as strong as citalopram x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.