New here, need help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

My name is Sarah, I am 21 and I'm from the UK..

For the past 2 years I have been suffering from anxiety, to the extreme. 

It all started with a panic attack out of the blue which scared the life out of me and ever since I've been stuck in a cycle of daily anxiety. 

The problems I struggle with are feelings of unreality, intrusive thoughts, extreme panic, to the point where I cry, pace, shake.

I was wondering if this is normal for anxiety? During my panic attacks I feel very unreal, the whole world feels unreal (even though I know it isn't) and I get really scary thoughts about hurting myself. 

I'm having one of those panic attacks now and I am really scared as I am on my own. I absolutely hate being on my own I can't handle it, it seems to turn into an instant panic attack. I get worried I'll get so distessed that I will end up hurting myself or someone close to me. 

I feel very out of control and like I am going mad. Even though I haven't ever lost control. 

Sorry that this is all jumbled and a bit much for a introduction but I'm really struggling today and I need someone to talk to!

Thanks to anyone who reads or replies!

Sarah

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just want to say thank you so much for all of the advice, it was really helpful. I'm finally starting to calm down now, the anxiety isn't as bad. Yay

• Posted

Hi Sarah, you are not alone.  I am over sixty and in the past year developed the feelings of unreality, invisible, feeling like I will lose control, etc.  I went to see a therapist which helps.  You are not going mad! If this is the same as mine, it's called depersonalization.  Harmless! But scary until you realize what it is.  I think mine was an accumulation of anxious thoughts about what people were saying about me and what I thought they thought about me. Both is a waste of time worrying about. Don't over analyze.  Don't worry about something that is not likely to happen. Most of what we worry about will never come true. A large part of what we worry about we can do nothing about.  So why worry? When I am focused on a task or interacting with other people (and stay focus on what they are saying) I do not feel this detached and "not there" feeling.  Mine has gotten better but still there.   Try to ignore it. I am a Christian so reading and believing the bible has helped me tremendously.  Praying for you.
  • Posted

Hello sarah91870

I post on here quite often and some people will recognise my code name.

Well, I just want to say that my anxiety started when I was really young, became full blown when I was 17 with depersonalisation and unreal experiences.  Back then, those symptoms were not readily recognised.  It is only fairly recently that these symptoms have been openly talked about.  I was 75 just a few days ago......have been on two cruises this year (love the dressing up at night)..love all fashion, gardening, writing, and lots more, and have a very large family of whom I am very proud.  I could write so much more (almost a book of my life) and my advice is....try to overcome these anxious times by understanding that so much help is available now, and in general nothing is going to happen to you.  We all have to face stress (life is like that)...but there are good times to be had.  Try to build your confidence....and this site is here for you.  I only wish there had been something like it when I was young!  Have faith in yourself and you will get through. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.