New here, poss diagnosis of diverticulitis, help needed!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

i would be grateful of any help please.  I have suffered severe lower abdominal pain on my left side since end of July.  Along with this I have had nausea, sickness, bloating and fatigue.  I was referred back to my gynae as they thought endometriosis had recurred.

i have been off work since then and find lifting, walking etc extremely painful.

i have had CT and MRI scan and both have come back clear.  I have seen my gynae today who believes it is diverticular and now being referred to a gastroenterologist .  I see him Tuesday.

can anybody advise what I need to ask, do, diet, etc to alleviate any of the symptoms I am getting

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thank you all in Advance.

i am very interested I diet and where and what should I try and eliminate out of my diet first?

thank you for any help you can give.

• Posted

Hi Jelly,

If it is diverticular, you should rest your bowels for a couple days by drinking clear liquids.  I know it sounds difficult, but it's not so hard when you are in pain.  Slowly introduce low fiber foods back into your diet, as tolerated. You have to work up to a high fiber diet eventually.  Your GI doc should explain all this to you.  I have heard that lying down with a heating pad in the lower left abdomen helps.  I hope you get some relief soon.  

• Posted

Hi maureen

thanks very much for your reply.  Yes lying down certainly helps and I have a hot water bottle on it at the moment.  I think I may try a heat pad placed directly on the skin if you think this would help.  Thanks again re help on diet .

• Posted

Hi Jelly

You will learn very quickly that there is no single solution to this condition and what works for one sometimes aggravates the condition in others.

Resting your bowel is a good idea by sticking to easily digested foods and erring on the side of bland helps.

For me bananas, mashed potato, stewed apple and clear soup or Bovril   drink are my saviours but I know many can't tolerate some of these.

Ask your gastroenterologist for pointers and advice. Beware of quick fix remedies and miracle cures which abound on Facebook and other forums.

Hope you feel better soonRegardsPete

• Posted

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply .... It is all a new ball game for me . I eat everything and anything so it could be one of many things that is triggering it !!! Golly should I start eliminating certain foods now I wonder ?

Thanks again

• Posted

hello Jelly,

You have my sympathy. I live in Suffolk, UK...think you will get to speak to sufferers worldwide on this forum. I was diagnosed in 2006. Hospitalised twice. When it is bad it is awful. Abdominal pain and often (though not always) a temperature (the infection element). Antibiotics and bedrest; and yes as advised in another answer - a very light diet to give your bowel a rest. I do have complan; a meal replacement milky type drink from the chemists; scrambled egg; a thin soup...that kind of thing. Most importantly you will become fanatical about your diet. NO seeds, nuts, pips or skins; and that means no pulses; not even peas and of course an end to strawberries; blackberries; gooseberries; kiwi and so many other fruits that have pips and seeds....The seeds; nuts; pips etc can get trapped in the diverticular pockets/pouches where they sit and fester quietly for several days and then wallap; the infection hits and the agony is horrendous; which is when you need the antibiotics. I have cefelexin and metronidozole. Metronidozole is the most effective one for guts; the cefelixin attacks the temperature. I used to get about two or three bouts of DD a year; but got really ill from November. After ten months and ten severe bouts of diverticulitis from November 2014 to July; I will not even eat bananas now as they have seeds in the middle; though they can be quartered and have the middle bit with pips cut out. The other thing I am doing as recommended by someone on this site; is taking Acidophilus that you can buy in tablet form from Holland and Barrett. I began them in July when I was ill with my last bout of DD and have now been the longest that I have been since November without a bout. It is a JOY to feel well again....and I pray it lasts. You may also find that certain foods or spices bring on pain within a few hours - that is not an infection; and although it feels like one; it will pass as the offending food passes through. With me it is garlic and certain spices; some people get severe pains with onions. It is a learning curve for all sufferers. I have found this forum very helpful and I hope that you do also. There is a way to send private messages to people and swap personal email addresses; but I never remember how to do it!! Still as we are just discussing the B****** illness we all share; there is no need for personal info really. And yes, hot water bottle helps; as does being very still and taking pain killers. Antibiotics if you have an infection. No doubt we will communicate again. Good luck. Christine.

• Posted

Hi Christine

Wow what a wonderful reply thank u so much for all that amazing information . Golly u sound as tho u have been thru it and I'm sorry . So little seeds get caught in the pouch causing pain ?? Even strawberries ! Wow.... I have so much to learn .

Thanks again and hope u continue to do well xxx

• Posted

Hi

He will probably refer you to the fodmap. Maybe he will give you some meds. This condition is hard to manage. Basically diet is a big part of this issue.

You need to avoid flare ups and infections. Clear liquids when you feel a flare up coming on.

It's complicated but basic. The only thing is that what works for one person may not work for another. Difficult to manage a diet andcregular bowel movements

I myself have not fully recovered since my last flare up in June.

Vivian

• Posted

Thanks Vivian ... I am grateful for your comments . Unsure what fodmap is but I will google it !!! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.