New Hip This Morning

Posted , 10 users are following.

Wow I am now an official Hippee

My infection cleared so I was able to have the scheduled surgery.  It was a complete success.  Did general anesthesia with no issues.  I have some Dramamine-like patch behind my hear, it's good for three days.

I have walked three times today with the walker.  Have done my exercises - the sliding heel of THR leg to the side is the most strenuous.

Due to lack of beds I ended up in an ICU step-down room (lots of monitoring LOL)  The people have been wonderful - though PT needs to get more involved - the doc wil speak will them in the morning.

That's my update.  Again, I am so thankful U found this group prior to surgery.

4 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is so comforting to hear this. I am so anxious and dreading my surgery next week. I have a slight cold but went to my pre op and doctor said it is a go ahead. 
    • Posted

Hi Libby, I was so scared about having my hip done, complex hip replacement on 30 January. I worried for months and cried coming home from work most days in my car. I can promise you it was SO much better than I feared. The pain relief was excellent. Progress is quick - though plenty of rest is needed. Exercises help (though you can get achey muscles!) - im on a walking stick now after 6 week partial weight bearing. Honestly its amazing.

Keep in touch and ask any questions at all, this site is such a support.

Sending hugs xxx

• Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement and support. 
  • Posted

Kebra,

Congratulations!!! So glad you could get your surgery and that all went well. So great that the wait is over. Take care of yourself, make sure you get lots of rest and ice will be your friend!!

Look forward to hearing your updates.

Take care,

Sam xx

• Posted

Oh wow - congratulations! And walking 3 times, fab. Take it easy!! And continue getting well.

Xx

• Posted

Well done Kebra!!! Youre through that now and it sounds like youre doing brilliantly. Keep up with the exercises, youll soon be home and getting back on with everything. 

Very best wishes!

xxx

• Posted

dear kebra , 

congratulations !!!   wow, I love the dramamine patch and wish someone would have thought about getting me one --- 

You just had your surgery and they already want PT to be more involved even though you already walked 3 times ???  phew ... 

I hope you are sleeping well and please come back here anytime ...

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

My dear am glad to hear that you did well hoope your recovery will be good

Takare of your self my dear .

Hugs😍😍

• Posted

Great news Kebra, so pleased your op went as planned. Remember to take all your pain meds, and do your exercises.....But don't push yourself too hard. Wishing you a good recovery, all the best, Judith

• Posted

Post-op DAY 2:

Walking, doing exercises, stairs twice AND THEN the swelling kicked in this afternoon about 4pm.  My poor daughter, not used to seeing me in pain does not think I should go home from hospital yet, but go home is what I am doing tomorrow.  

I've explained I'll be in pain (at times) regardless of where I am and explained the meds go home with me.

She asked if I was still glad I had the surgery.....oh yes yes yes

Day 2 theme: meds, PT, sleep, meds, PT, extra dose of meds, dinner.  I wil take one more walk about 9pm.  Do not want to get too stiff just sitting or laying in bed.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone !!

• Posted

Hi kebra, 

You just had major invasive surgery where tissues were cut, handled and pulled around and can make fluid build up in the hours afterwards. This can stay or ebb and flow for days and even a couple of weeks. 

Also increased blood and lymph flow; healing happens because there is increased circulation bringing plentiful blood cells, plasma and lymph into the area to supply nutrition and oxygen - all needed for the creation of scar and normal tissue.

you are doing great and will be so ready to go home !!! 

angel blessings and be gentle with kebra !!!

• Posted

Excellent. You are doing great. I a few months you will forget you had it. May take 9-12 months to heal. Just don't go overboard but exercise, walk and rest

• Posted

Well done Kebra! On the road to recovery now - sending you all love and hope they are taking good care of you
  • Posted

Update at 3.5 weeks (anterior).  Yesterday I drove for the first time (just 3 miles or so) and I went to the gym to ride the recumbent bike.  I have to be honest and say I was feeling very smug about the "non-exercise" of a recumbent bike - oh silly silly me.  I was on it for 21 minutes and I was more than ready to get home and ice and lay down.  It's a higher knee lift than I was expecting - can't wait to get back and do it again.  It's an incentive for me to be around other healthy, active people and it is a great place to people watch LOL.

Today is my last official PT home visit and I see the doctor in another couple weeks. 

While I now have a bit more freedom since I can drive I am surprised how worn out I got.  I was out of the house a total of two hours and really that was all I could take (baby steps).  I don't think I really want to drive anywhere but I wanted to know I "could".  This is one of those things being single and alone that may be more important to me than some others.

I no longer push myself too far, but also not sitting on my laurels.  

I continue to learn something new from the forum every day.  THANKS

• Posted

Isn't that the truth..? finding the balance is elusive.. Sometimes not much happens and suddenly you just get unreasonably and unpredictably exhausted... other times you are enegizer bunny/superman.. When they say major surgery they mean it.. It is major. It takes a long time to recover from the power tools and assault on our muscles and huge incisions. Let alone the fear pain, trauma and trepidation befoe the surgery...

patience patience..

Lord give me patience and give it to me right now. 

• Posted

rolleyesabsolutely right ... and it will take you by surprise - 

funny how they told me that hip replacement surgery is "just a procedure that will have you up and running in not time" and the been told that "it is major surgery and might take up to a year" ... 

• Posted

hi kebra ,

shocking isn't it ... but normal part of healing process ---

even though you had the less invasive approach, there was still some manhandling involved, femur cut, hip joint dislocated and hardware placed ... 

It sounds as if you are doing great .... 

be kind and gentle with your self, darling ... 

angel blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.