New knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I am new to the group and am now 3 weeks post op following full knee replacement. Just wondering if you have any advice on how to reduce swelling please. I doint sleep much ans try to do my exercises but theres not a lot of guidance form the nhs on what to do!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, 3 weeks is still early and massaging can help.  I am 13 weeks and still have slight swelling but massage with bio oil three times a day before exercising.  I also do both legs ankle to thighs and the skin does improve, your hands also benefit and  its also good for your face.   Just read these knee problem pages you will find more information than the NHS can give you and remember no two knees are ever the same.
  • Posted

Ice it down after exercize while elevation in a reclining chair.   I have a wonderful receipe for an ice pack that has worked wonderfully for me.  It is a gel, simple and cheap.   Take 2 cups of water and 1 cup of  isopropy alcohol.  Put into a gallon ziploc bag (I double just to be safe!).  Put in freezer and it will firm up to a nice, pliable gel.  Best ice bag I've ever used.  

After completing your first couple of months, ..... Your knee will let you know when you have overdone and will become sore/swell.  Grab your gel pack and sit back.

Good luck to you.  It definitely gets better.  I'm almost 8 weeks out on my second TKR.

PS   Hardest thing for me was the confinement.  So, if possible, ask whomever is drivining you to therapy to give you a ride around and about after therapy to one of your favorite places to see......beach, lake, wooods, etc.   It was and is a definite morale booster.   

• Posted

Hi Jackieyj. I'm in exactly the same position, i.e. 3 weeks post op from a TKR. I hardly sleep, at most 3 hours a night. The leg pain keeps waking me up whichever side I lie on and I can't sleep on my back. I use frozen peas ice packs four or five times a day to help keep swelling down and I do my exercises on an ongoing basis. My biggest problem is bending the knee. I push it every day and it is getting better but it is sore and very hard! I also have spondylosis which is basically arthritis of the lower spine and the sciatica that results from this is also affecting my left hip/buttock/leg now and again. I'm encouraged though as I can walk outside for a few minutes with my crutches and can walk around inside the house without any sticks at all. I do feel a little isolated in terms of support and can't see a physiotherapist for another 10 days so I'm working off an exercise sheet. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.