New knee has created other medical problems

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

10 weeks post op TKR on right knee and lately have been having the most awful pain in my lower back on the right side.

This morning around 5am went in the kitchen for a walk round because I couldn't sleep due to pain and discomfort and the pain in my back was gushing. I had to sit down and rest. Today I felt weak and have flu like symptoms.

I would never go into this so lightly ever again. I never thought I would end up like this. I think they discharge you too early from these NHS Choose and book private hospitals. 3 days and you're practically thrown out. Any problems go to A&E or your own GP.

Somebody I know had hers done on the NHS and she was in for nearly a week.

Anybody else feel like this - just can't seem to get well

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also had back pain after my tkr - it's because your body is realigning itself now that your knee has been rebuilt. Your leg is probably slightly longer now  - it will take time for your body to adjust, and things may hurt as they're shifting. Your physiotherapist or a good chiropractor can be really helpful. Good luck! 
  • Posted

It is so unfortunate that your doctor does not follow through. The last thing my doctor said to me when I left the hospital was if you have any problems do not go to an ER .....call us.  And I have a couple of times!

Also, if you do not get your gait back quickly you will,  unfortunately,  have hip/back problems.  I hope you are getting out and about?

In in the US we are encouraged to return home as quickly as possible.....cuts down on infection!  

I am am sorry you are going through this

• Posted

This is all very educating--wish I had a doctor to consult when things go wrong. We fired each other. 
    • Posted

Find another doctor sooner rather than later, they need to be there for you, make sure they understand all there is to know about replacements and ALL the after effects (of which there are many!!)
    • Posted

I was told that no other doctor would take on my case. That the operating physician has to see it through to the end...  Plus the other docs know I filed huge complaint against this Orthopedic Surgeon and hospital, so they don't want to get involved.  Resigned to go through my P.A. for care after falling on the 12th of April and landing on both knees.

• Posted

Oops, I know it's none of my business but, may I be so bold and ask why you filed a complaint.
  • Posted

I am in the USA and was discharged the next day. Had a lot of pain for several weeks but it all worked out
  • Posted

Hi, Mary. I'm at about the same place in recovery as you for my TKR. I get that awful back pain and some sciatica especially when I first get up. I think it's a combination of our body coping with the "abuse" from such major surgery, PT and just learning to walk straight again. Heating pad and or ice help. When I do get up from either sitting or bed, I take a minute to straighten up starting from knees through that nagging back then walk around, (straight up, no hunching!)a bit to get warmed up. 

The short hospital stay is common in US - 24 hours for PKR and 48 for TKR. A big reason for the short stay ( beyond the obvious insurance issue) is minimal exposure to potential infection. And that's a really good thing.

Good luck with that back pain and recovery but don't quit doing excercises...that don't exacerbate the back pain. I still do a lot of self talk when all I want to do is kick back and watch TV when I should be on the bike, stretching, etc. 

• Posted

Yes, I think it's part of the deal. I find I need to be more aware of my posture n sitting positions. We r learning a whole new way to walk so I think other parts of our body r being affected as well. I find stretching helps a lot n heat
  • Posted

I also had horrible sciatica. My physical therapist put heel risers in the shoe of my other leg to even out the change in length. Things have been better since then. 
    • Posted

My PT told me that after years of OA that your legs may become a little crooked..taking away from the length. They align, fit and straighten your new knee possibly making it longer than the other leg. Doesn't happen to everyone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.