New knee in the sun

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have a question for those mainly living in a warm climate.  How do you look after your scar in the sun.  Do you keep your legs out of the sun or do you pu something on the scar.  Everything I read says you must keep the s ar away from the sun.  I am not sure what to do.  I do quite a bit of sunbathing usually, mostly abroad.   Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Haven't heard that advice Susan.  I live in Australia and spend 8 months of the year in shorts, so it's going to be quite a challenge
    • Posted

I read that the scar will darken a lot of you sit in the sun and that you should  cover it?  
    • Posted

I must ask my surgeon. Seeing him on Tuesday.  Least of my worries at the moment.  I am four weeks post surgery and having the other knee done in four weeks.  No sun in oz at the moment so I have plenty of time 
  • Posted

Anything in particular?
    • Posted

The scar lacks pigment and therefore burning can cause the skin to thicken, the scar will discolour and be more visible. There is plenty of advice online and any medical practitioner will tell you the same - use high factor or block one the scar to be safe.
  • Posted

I've lived in Tucson for the last 35 years. Both my knee replacments healed very nicely. I didn't use any kind of scar creams just use common sense and your body will do the rest.
  • Posted

I also live in northern NSW near Byron Bay.. I just use 50+ sun screen nothing special! I just have to be careful that my thighs don't get burnt as I have no feeling in my outer thighs due to multiple hip replacements???my scars are a very faint white line.
  • Posted

Susan,  I've been told no direct sun on my scar for a year.  That's not a problem for me, I'm very careful anyways of getting too much direct sun.
  • Posted

Its vital that youkeep the scar out of the sun, this is new skin. Would you allow a babyout in sun? I used to work at a burns & plastics unit and the advice was always cover up for 2 years. I went on a cruise at 4.5 mths and got crop trousers so the knee was covered.

• Posted

Hi,

I live in Perth, Western Australia. It's hot here. 

I was told never to let the sun on my scar as the Rays could destroy the cells that make the scar.

i put the 50+ cream on if I have to go out. 

Caz x

• Posted

I asked. Sunscreen. The scar will burn. It's new skin. But, ask doc.
  • Posted

So are you planning on basking out in the sun? I thought you were referring to a short walk or a few minutes under an umbrella.

It took a full year before all the swelling in my knees to go away and in that time I just went for short walks and continued working on my range of motion.

I wouldn't chance full exposure under the sun until the all the stiches are removed and the wound is completely healed.

• Posted

Yes I am going to Turkey in June.  I will be 7 months post Tkr by then.  My scar is still quite thick in places and raised so don't want to take any chances.  I just wondered what people do in hot countries. Obviously they don't sunbathe as we Brits do, who hardly ever see the sun, unfortunately.   I will probably Google and see what I can find.  Thanks.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.