New knee not going straight

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am 13 weeks post op. I visited my consultant 4 weeks ago for a check up and told him that my leg would not lie straight. He told me to push it down and keep doing this. I am due to see him again in 4 weeks time. I dont seem to be getting any nearer to straightening this leg. The pain is nearly gone now and I am walking a lot better but soon get tired especailly after standing. I am going on holiday in September and am worried that I might have to use a stick if I am going to be waiting about at airport etc.Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the leg to completety straighten like the other one?

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Your leg should be straight by now. I had a similar problem 5 years ago and had to have a revision (another op) a year later to get it straight. Unless you get it straight, you will have a limp. I had my 2nd TKR 8 weeks ago and have managed to get it straight this time. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh no I dont want to have another op. I am having my other knee done soon. The consultant did say wait until we get this knee right before we do the other one. Fingers crossed it will just go straight. Apart from pushing it down when I am sitting I dont know what else to do. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dear Batteneye

It all seem a bit terrifying!  But because  I can read others advice, experiences, I do not feel so alone.  I also had a little success today , I went on a bike again with a success (mind you I am paying the price now, a little painful).  I find the bike best to bend the knee.  Also rocking on a big ball.   I was in a hospital today that the scar needs a good massage and patella is a bit stiff, so I need to keep moving it.

My walking is not good, cannot do longer walks, have pain in lower back and in my hips. Must be doing something wrong.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I didn't have the straightening problem but certainly getting a tired leg after standing is normal. If I stood for half an hour I used to feel it later. This goes on for a while. I'm three and a half months now but still try to sit rather than stand where I can. Hope your knee rights itself without another op. I must say it took 3 months before I stopped worrying that mine was progressing normally
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think its the not knowing that worries you. When you speak to other people it puts your mind at rest. I have written a diary about my progress because I am going to have my other knee done so at least I will know what to expect. Some days I feel fine and can do most things and then I have a complete set back and feel really down. Does anyone else suffer from this? I think its worrying that youwill never be right again.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Joan, I am 8 weeks post op after a TKR and I have good days and bad days. I was walking better three weeks ago than I am at present. Hang in there girl!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks post op.  Have the same problem, cannot have my leg flat when lying down.  I also cannot bend it very well, although yesterday a had a little success by being able to get on the bike and turn the pedals. Midnd you sitting a bit too high. I think it is my own fault, becuse I am terrified of pain, so take it too easy.

I would advise  at the airport to book asistance. I had to have it for some time, because had both knees in need of replacement.   It really works well.  These days there are quite distances to walk at the airports and lots of standing around.

Good luck with everything.  I need the second knee done, anyone can recommend the surgent at Stanmore, London?  Mine is goingback to South Africa so I cannot have him again.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I use my exercise bike to bend my leg. 8 weeks ago I could not complete one revolution with the saddle set to its highest point. Since then I have managed to lower the saddle 5 inches in stages. 2 more inches to go. Still get days when I seem to have gone backwards pain wise. Patience is a virtue!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

just keep doing what your doing now , im 4 months post opp now and need my other knee doing ( aprox 4 to 6 weeks time ) ive got full movement but still have pain on the out side of my knee , saw the surgen yesterday ,he said that some people dont stop having pain for up to 2 years . i was told that we all progress at different speeds and not to worrie , when i do too much its very painfull and the mornings when i wake its so stiff but it only takes a short time to get moving right .one thing ive learnt is to make sure your meds are doing the job right ,too much and you feel you can do anything then suffer later to little and you cant do what you need to do ,as they say no pain no gain , keep it up and good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I think the not knowing whether what your feeling is normal is the main worry. Like you said we are all different. Today I havent wanted to do any excercise and have been really down..I am determined to start again tomorrow.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up