New lease of life!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm posting here in the hope that my experience may help some of you in the early states of osteoarthritis.  I am 52 and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis last October - in my cervical and thoracic spine, hips, knees, feet and hands. I had suddenlty found my joints becoming very tender and stiff with added bursitis in my hips and inflamed achilles tendons.  My rheumatologist said that if I lost weight and took exercise there was no reason why I couldn't be a sprightly 90-year old.  I had put on excess weight following serious issues with my lumber spine over several decades - ending in surgery for a herniated disc.  So it was quite disheartening having been through what was a very successful surgery to then received the OA diagnoses (funnily enough there is no OA in my lumbar spine).  

Scared into action I have lost 3 stone in weight - the pain is much reduced and rarely need painkillers - and I have brought in exercise (walking mainly).  I feel fit and healthy and have so much energy I'm walking steep hills with no trouble at all.  The depression I have suffered for over a decade has receeded and I feel a completely new person.

I know it is difficult when you are in pain and feeling depressed to take action.  I never thought I would be able to do it.  But my goodness it is worth it!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well done you Nutters, that's fantastic and the fact that you now feel so well is an extra bonus.  biggrin  

I'm one of the lucky one's whose weight is not a problem, but I can see that extra weight on knees and hips that are struggling, would make them more painful.

• Posted

Thank you for posting.   I am very happy for you!   I do try to keep my weight down and try to exercise daily but with your positive results I will try harder.  confused 

• Posted

I am very happy for you. I remember the good feelings I got from exercise when I was doing it before I hurt my back. Unfortunately in the past 13 years I've gained well over 100 pounds from medicines I've been on and the depression that chronic pain can cause. Now I also have OA in my back and many joints and find it nearly impossible to exercise without pain. Back in 2012 I did work with a PT for a year and was able to get to the point where I walked a 5k. I was the lst one in but it didn't matter to me. What mattered was that I did it. I am happy that it has worked for you but I'm afraid I may be a lost cause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.