New (LPR) boy needs insight / help ... with thanks ...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear Friends,

I have posted on this site once before and am deeply appreciative for all the information I have been / am gleening from your wonderfully supportive/informative forum resource centre.  

I have just received my peptest results.  They show that I test positive for Pepsin.  My post lunch reading was moderate at 94 ng/ml and my post dinner reading was low at <25 ng/ml.  i don't completely feel i'm at the point where i need to throw myself off the roof just quite yet  smile  but am (i hope understandably) concerned.

my history briefly.  i had no digestive problems short of once having a turn with heartburn on 13th february of this year.  that was an isolated event.  i did very shortly thereafter develop a sensation of pressure in the back left quadrant of my head.  i now know that was caused as a result of foraminal stenosis in my neck.  this is being effectively treated with physiotherapy i'm happy to report.  before the physio commenced i was prescribed a round of nexium (20 mg) which i only took for four days (e.g., four tablets).  having started on 9th april i stopped it on 13th april as it was doing nothing for the head pressure and i didn't quite frankly see the point.  i then had, of course, the reflux backlash which has i believe resulted in this pepsin throttle.  to be honest the only real symptom i am dealing with at the moment are silent burps/hic-ups that travel through the upper chest cavity on occasion; sometimes following meals; sometimes on their isolated own.  

two questions if i might ...

1.  does lpr automatically become a chronic disease (e.g., once you have it; do you have it forever?)  forgive my ignorance - and please know that i have done a lot of reading on these forums but i still can't seem to find an answer to this question.  i see in jpt's truly fantastic material that it takes between eight and 26 weeks for nexium to go out of your system.  would it be false to hope that the pepsin would disappear in that time frame?  does anyone know.  if so, i would be most grateful for your advice.

off my own bat i have been following the induction diet in the dropping acid book such as is much referred to here.  additionally i am now drinking and spraying my mouth with alkaline water - or at very least water that has been brought up to post 8.8 elimination scale with drops.  (i find when i spray my mouth with such that it feels dry  ... does anyone else have that result using alkaline spray?)  i would also like to add that there is one member on this board who has been oh, so very kind and i have greatly benefited from her wisdom which i continue to follow even now.    

2)  i don't have great faith in my gp surgery.  indeed during four recent appointments in either hospitals or health care centres i have been told by medical staff members to change my gp.  i intend to do so, but only after i have started to get this particular adventure sorted.  i will call the gp surgery first thing tomorrow with my pepsin results and ask for a ent consultancy vis a vis lpr.   what i would like to do, however, is get a private consultancy in the interim so that i could go armed to such a meeting (whenever it may be forthcoming) with additional information.  what i would like to now find is an otolalaryngologist who would - on a one off private basis - scope me (not an endoscopy obviously) in their office and let me know the immediate state of my lpr play.  does any such expert exist in london?   if anyone has any suggestions i would be hugely grateful.  

well, that's two and a half questions really -- so obviously it's time for me to jump off the bandwagon.  again, mucho thanks to all for your kind consideration in my regard.  it is, i promise, keenly valued.

bless you.  ng/ml.=""  i="" don't="" completely="" feel="" i'm="" at="" the="" point="" where="" i="" need="" to="" throw="" myself="" off="" the="" roof="" just="" quite="" yet=""  smile=""  but="" am="" (i="" hope="" understandably)="" concerned.="" my="" history="" briefly.=""  i="" had="" no="" digestive="" problems="" short="" of="" once="" having="" a="" turn="" with="" heartburn="" on="" 13th="" february="" of="" this="" year.=""  that="" was="" an="" isolated="" event.=""  i="" did="" very="" shortly="" thereafter="" develop="" a="" sensation="" of="" pressure="" in="" the="" back="" left="" quadrant="" of="" my="" head.=""  i="" now="" know="" that="" was="" caused="" as="" a="" result="" of="" foraminal="" stenosis="" in="" my="" neck.=""  this="" is="" being="" effectively="" treated="" with="" physiotherapy="" i'm="" happy="" to="" report.=""  before="" the="" physio="" commenced="" i="" was="" prescribed="" a="" round="" of="" nexium="" (20="" mg)="" which="" i="" only="" took="" for="" four="" days="" (e.g.,="" four="" tablets).=""  having="" started="" on="" 9th="" april="" i="" stopped="" it="" on="" 13th="" april="" as="" it="" was="" doing="" nothing="" for="" the="" head="" pressure="" and="" i="" didn't="" quite="" frankly="" see="" the="" point.=""  i="" then="" had,="" of="" course,="" the="" reflux="" backlash="" which="" has="" i="" believe="" resulted="" in="" this="" pepsin="" throttle.=""  to="" be="" honest="" the="" only="" real="" symptom="" i="" am="" dealing="" with="" at="" the="" moment="" are="" silent="" burps/hic-ups="" that="" travel="" through="" the="" upper="" chest="" cavity="" on="" occasion;="" sometimes="" following="" meals;="" sometimes="" on="" their="" isolated="" own.=""  ="" two="" questions="" if="" i="" might="" ...="" 1.=""  does="" lpr="" automatically="" become="" a="" chronic="" disease="" (e.g.,="" once="" you="" have="" it;="" do="" you="" have="" it="" forever?)=""  forgive="" my="" ignorance="" -="" and="" please="" know="" that="" i="" have="" done="" a="" lot="" of="" reading="" on="" these="" forums="" but="" i="" still="" can't="" seem="" to="" find="" an="" answer="" to="" this="" question.=""  i="" see="" in="" jpt's="" truly="" fantastic="" material="" that="" it="" takes="" between="" eight="" and="" 26="" weeks="" for="" nexium="" to="" go="" out="" of="" your="" system.=""  would="" it="" be="" false="" to="" hope="" that="" the="" pepsin="" would="" disappear="" in="" that="" time="" frame?=""  does="" anyone="" know.=""  if="" so,="" i="" would="" be="" most="" grateful="" for="" your="" advice.="" off="" my="" own="" bat="" i="" have="" been="" following="" the="" induction="" diet="" in="" the="" dropping="" acid="" book="" such="" as="" is="" much="" referred="" to="" here.=""  additionally="" i="" am="" now="" drinking="" and="" spraying="" my="" mouth="" with="" alkaline="" water="" -="" or="" at="" very="" least="" water="" that="" has="" been="" brought="" up="" to="" post="" 8.8="" elimination="" scale="" with="" drops.=""  (i="" find="" when="" i="" spray="" my="" mouth="" with="" such="" that="" it="" feels="" dry=""  ...="" does="" anyone="" else="" have="" that="" result="" using="" alkaline="" spray?)=""  i="" would="" also="" like="" to="" add="" that="" there="" is="" one="" member="" on="" this="" board="" who="" has="" been="" oh,="" so="" very="" kind="" and="" i="" have="" greatly="" benefited="" from="" her="" wisdom="" which="" i="" continue="" to="" follow="" even="" now.=""  =""  ="" 2)=""  i="" don't="" have="" great="" faith="" in="" my="" gp="" surgery.=""  indeed="" during="" four="" recent="" appointments="" in="" either="" hospitals="" or="" health="" care="" centres="" i="" have="" been="" told="" by="" medical="" staff="" members="" to="" change="" my="" gp.=""  i="" intend="" to="" do="" so,="" but="" only="" after="" i="" have="" started="" to="" get="" this="" particular="" adventure="" sorted.=""  i="" will="" call="" the="" gp="" surgery="" first="" thing="" tomorrow="" with="" my="" pepsin="" results="" and="" ask="" for="" a="" ent="" consultancy="" vis="" a="" vis="" lpr.=""  ="" what="" i="" would="" like="" to="" do,="" however,="" is="" get="" a="" private="" consultancy="" in="" the="" interim="" so="" that="" i="" could="" go="" armed="" to="" such="" a="" meeting="" (whenever="" it="" may="" be="" forthcoming)="" with="" additional="" information.=""  what="" i="" would="" like="" to="" now="" find="" is="" an="" otolalaryngologist="" who="" would="" -="" on="" a="" one="" off="" private="" basis="" -="" scope="" me="" (not="" an="" endoscopy="" obviously)="" in="" their="" office="" and="" let="" me="" know="" the="" immediate="" state="" of="" my="" lpr="" play.=""  does="" any="" such="" expert="" exist="" in="" london?=""  ="" if="" anyone="" has="" any="" suggestions="" i="" would="" be="" hugely="" grateful.=""  ="" well,="" that's="" two="" and="" a="" half="" questions="" really="" --="" so="" obviously="" it's="" time="" for="" me="" to="" jump="" off="" the="" bandwagon.=""  again,="" mucho="" thanks="" to="" all="" for="" your="" kind="" consideration="" in="" my="" regard.=""  it="" is,="" i="" promise,="" keenly="" valued.="" bless="">  but am (i hope understandably) concerned.

my history briefly.  i had no digestive problems short of once having a turn with heartburn on 13th february of this year.  that was an isolated event.  i did very shortly thereafter develop a sensation of pressure in the back left quadrant of my head.  i now know that was caused as a result of foraminal stenosis in my neck.  this is being effectively treated with physiotherapy i'm happy to report.  before the physio commenced i was prescribed a round of nexium (20 mg) which i only took for four days (e.g., four tablets).  having started on 9th april i stopped it on 13th april as it was doing nothing for the head pressure and i didn't quite frankly see the point.  i then had, of course, the reflux backlash which has i believe resulted in this pepsin throttle.  to be honest the only real symptom i am dealing with at the moment are silent burps/hic-ups that travel through the upper chest cavity on occasion; sometimes following meals; sometimes on their isolated own.  

two questions if i might ...

1.  does lpr automatically become a chronic disease (e.g., once you have it; do you have it forever?)  forgive my ignorance - and please know that i have done a lot of reading on these forums but i still can't seem to find an answer to this question.  i see in jpt's truly fantastic material that it takes between eight and 26 weeks for nexium to go out of your system.  would it be false to hope that the pepsin would disappear in that time frame?  does anyone know.  if so, i would be most grateful for your advice.

off my own bat i have been following the induction diet in the dropping acid book such as is much referred to here.  additionally i am now drinking and spraying my mouth with alkaline water - or at very least water that has been brought up to post 8.8 elimination scale with drops.  (i find when i spray my mouth with such that it feels dry  ... does anyone else have that result using alkaline spray?)  i would also like to add that there is one member on this board who has been oh, so very kind and i have greatly benefited from her wisdom which i continue to follow even now.    

2)  i don't have great faith in my gp surgery.  indeed during four recent appointments in either hospitals or health care centres i have been told by medical staff members to change my gp.  i intend to do so, but only after i have started to get this particular adventure sorted.  i will call the gp surgery first thing tomorrow with my pepsin results and ask for a ent consultancy vis a vis lpr.   what i would like to do, however, is get a private consultancy in the interim so that i could go armed to such a meeting (whenever it may be forthcoming) with additional information.  what i would like to now find is an otolalaryngologist who would - on a one off private basis - scope me (not an endoscopy obviously) in their office and let me know the immediate state of my lpr play.  does any such expert exist in london?   if anyone has any suggestions i would be hugely grateful.  

well, that's two and a half questions really -- so obviously it's time for me to jump off the bandwagon.  again, mucho thanks to all for your kind consideration in my regard.  it is, i promise, keenly valued.

bless you. >

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank so for this, Suzeq1972.  That sounds a good plan about going back for an additional test.  Might I ask how long you have been suffering with this condition?  Wondered what was your original reporting complaint and if it now has subsided?  What did your GP surgery say when you meet with them initially?  I am currently awaiting a call from mine.  I realise that is a lot of questions but that is how we learn.  Thanks so for your kind response.  I admire your determination to do it the 'natural' way.  Fingers et al. crossed.   
    • Posted

Believe it or not Meunier, it started with a blocked nose in January this year!  I was given steroid nasal pumps and used several different medicines to clear it.  Then came the stomach issues (wretching, nausea, tiredness, belching, pains in shoulder, acid refulx, pains under ribs, feeling of lodged brick under breastbone, heart palpitations after eating).  Given Gaviscon by GP.  That didn’t work.   Next came the throat issues, dryness, funny taste in mouth, ear and sinus pain, difficulty breathing (inflamed oesophagus) etc, so back to GP - given Omeprazole. I’ve been tested for airborne allergies, food intolerances and H Pylori and had a full set of blood tests.  All came back negative.  Then you know the rest of the story with JPT, peptest, alkaline water etc.

Compared to others on this forum, I am very grateful that I seem to have suffered a mild form of gastritis and LPR.  I am very aware, however, that LPR should be constantly monitored so it does not cause any long-term damage. 

As for my GP, if you feel you aren’t getting a satisfactory consultation, ask to see another GP.  The first GP I saw gave me a full examination (a good old prod around as I like to call it!).  The second GP I felt couldn’t get me out the room fast enough!

• Posted

Just spoke with a senior doctor in my GP surgery.  She asked me what LPR stood for .... This is not encouraging.  She said I should go for a private consultation and they would go with whatever was recommended.  !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.