New member 1st week

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I have just started taking Orlistat on Monday, so far so good but i have 5 stone to lose so i know i have a long road ahead of me.

I have been overweight all my life and feel like I have been on a diet since i was about 12! I also suffer with depression, which leads to binge eating which in turn leads to more weight gain & more depression :-(

I am hoping that Orlistat along with Weight Watchers will lead to me reaching my goal of being fit and healthy.

I have really enjoyed reading all your posts and learning about your experiences & I look forward to sharing mine with you

Janie

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janie.

I read your post and thought to myself "did I write this"?  Like you I had 5 stone to lose, (though I'll be happy with 3.5 to 4 in truth) and I also feel like ive been dieting all my life.  I'm now 50 and think if I don't do it now I never will!

So far I have lost 2.5 stone which I'm very happy with.  This forum has been a great help and there are always people around to give you the extra encouragememnt when you need it.  The only advise I would give is to view it as a scenic route marathon not a direct sprint.  You will have good and bad days/weeks or even months but persevere and you will get there.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your responce, 2.5 stone is brilliant, i would be more then happy with that, i am doing weight watchers as well which seems to be more about making permenant managble changes rather then a restricted diet & fits with the whole family eating together as well.  I think i was lucky as my doctor really went through with me what i need to do & the do's & donts, & he recommend Weight Watchers as well.  I am really excited, & postive & hearing from you has made it even better, Janie xx
  • Posted

Good luck on ur weight loss i am doing weight watchers aswell but not having much luck have u been told to only eat a certain amount of calories a day and only a certain amount of fat i dont know how that will work with weight watchers i am so confused
    • Posted

I have had a really good read through all the Weight Watchers booklet & it seems to be a low fat plan, I have been taking since Tuesday, have really enjoyed the meals i have been making & not had any upset tummy where I have eaten to much fat.  My doctor actully recommended weight watchers he said it is the best plan to follow.  good luck & keep in touch Janie x
  • Posted

Hello Go Girl, I read this and had to respond not only am I new to Orlistat only started taking it today but I too have a lot lose I have 6.5stone to shed!! I also suffer with depression and binge eat when I'm feeling low so I'm hoping we can motivate each other and start a weight loss journey together.

My first day on Orlistat has been ok no dodgey side effects, I am just really unsure of what to eat but I have had very low fat foods today and stuck to a limit of 1500 cals, if anyone can advise on what sort of diets/ healthy eating plans they are following that would be great as my Dr didn't give me much advice on what I could actually eat he just advised me not to eat anything fried or high in fat.

I wondered if lean steak and salad would be too fatty to eat for a dinner?

• Posted

Hi there, lean steak and salad is a great meal to have, but make sure that the steak is a small piece and grilled or done on the the bbq as meal is naturally high in fat and calories. And with the salad I would advise only fat free salad dressings. Kraft do a large variety of fat free and if you use this with a bit of salt and pepper on your salad it is rather tasty. If you go through some of the forums you will get lots of ideas of foods you can and can't have but just stick to the 5g of fat per 100g rule, with no more than 15g of fat per meal, and only snack on fat free foods in between, then you will be fine. Good luck.
    • Posted

that should have read "meat" is naturally high
    • Posted

Hi Bellaboo28, Great to hear from you, sounds like we have alot in common, I am following weight watchers as well as the tablets (my doctor advised it) I have loved the food i have had this week so far.  Last night was mini home made pizza useing a petit pain as the base then loads of veg & a little bit of light mozzeralla, with home made chunky chips & side salad.  I have not had any of the nasty side effects yet, so i assume that means i am doing it right.  Have not got on the scales as have been told by doctor to only weigh in once a week as i get a bit obsessed otherwise definitely feel light & my stomach has is not bloated at all biggrin, keep in touch & good luck Janie
    • Posted

Excellent. If you aren't having nasty side effects you are doing it RIGHT. So well done babes. x

P.S Sometimes I have not lost weight and was surprised because felt thinner and definitely toning up, so don't pay too much heed to the scales if one or two weeks seem a bit slow. Take your measurements by the way - they also tell you how you are doing. Measure your waist, chest, midriff, hips, top of thighs, above the knee, calf, ankle and top of arm - might sound drastic but when you see the cms coming off does wonders for the will power - funnily enough my ankles and chin(s) seem to have lost the most cms followed closely by my midriff and top of my knees! Who cares, I am SHRINKING!

• Posted

Thank you x

I'm on day three and chicken gujons with salad set my tummy off I only had 4 and they were baked in the oven is there some stuff you just shouldn't eat regardless of the 5gm per 100gram rule ?

• Posted

I had pasta last night with pesti and chicken and had a bad tummy, the first time in five days so not bad, got weighed in this morning at Wright watchers and I have lost 6lb, so happy
    • Posted

Hi Janie, I am not surprised you had a bad stomach having pesto - that is really fatty, even the low fat variety! Ouch! But you live and learn and have to go through these things in order to get to grips with what you can and can't get away with. But well done with the weight loss so far, that is excellent, keep going but avoid the pesto from now onwards I'd say. Bye for now. X
    • Posted

Morning, yes chicken goujons would be a no no unless you make themself fat free. Even though they are oven baked they are usually covered in either some sort of batter or breadcrumbs held together with some kind of fat. Not sure what kind you had but I would avoid any ready made goujons or nuggets of any kind as I think they are almost all over the fat allowance hence the bad stomach. To make them almost fat free you just slice up the chicken (skin removed), whisk up some egg with salt n pepper, dip the chicken in that and bake in the oven - not quite as nice as the ready made fatty variety but they do the trick.

I don't believe there is anything you should avoid even if it is below the 5g rule, but obviously these tablets work somewhat differently for each person and perhaps you will be one of the peeps who just cannot tolerate even the slightest bit of fat without it affecting your stomach. This is all the stuff you will figure out over the coming weeks. And don't forget, it takes most of us a good 5 weeks or so for our stomachs to stop feeling gassy and bloated and the stomach aches to stop.

Hope you are feeling better now. Bye for now. x

• Posted

Hi Janie, I think a combination of weight watchers and orlistat is absolutely the right way to go. Weight watchers is really good for learning to eat a bit of everything in moderation and you have to watch your fat content so these are all good things to do in order to re-train yourself to eat healthily. Together with the orlistat, which seriously makes you watch your fat intake because of the horrible side effects if you eat too much, you really learn to re-evaluate everything. 5 stone is not so bad - it could be much worse - so you are tackling this at the right time.

I too had 5 stone to loose and although I have only suffered with being overweight since mid 30's, I have had/am having to learn to be healthy all over again. It has been difficult at times, and I have had weeks where I have wanted to eat my own foot, scream a tantrum and throw things through the window, together with lots of trial and error, and I have eventually this last couple of weeks really settled into this and am now enjoying my new way of life. I have lost 20lbs now and I am halfway through my third month but what I would say is that the weight loss is primarily down to my own hard work, sticking to 1200 calories per day (i started at 1400 but found the weight loss wasn't really happening so I decreased this to 1200) and exercising rather than the tablets. I think the tablets really just encourage you to stick to very low fat as toilet moments are pretty nasty if you overeat on the fat side. But that is fine as long as it works right?

I now feel very happy and contented and really enjoy finding new and interesting things to make and eat which are low in fat and I love cycling. I cycle 3 or 4 times every week and now find I get agitated if I haven't cycled for a couple of days and trust me, I HATED exercise with a vengence since I put weight on - couldnt even walk up the stairs without cursing. Now, the exercise is so important to me but it's only cycling - can't stand anything else - and so it's important to find an exercise that you can incorporate into your daily life and enjoy it because like the diet, you have to find things that you will do consistently and long term.

Like most people, I found this all so hard for the first 5 or 6 weeks, and I almost gave up several times but found it in me somehow to carry on and now it's becoming almost 2nd nature. So be prepared to have times that you feel you just can't go on and at those times comes onto this forum and chat to people - they really do help you get through the hard times.

Good luck Janie, and keep in touch.

• Posted

OMG are you my twin, i totally agree with everything you are saying and have recently brought my self a bike (all be it a childrens one lol) and am loving getting out and about with my daughter on it.  I know i have a long way to go but the tortoise won the race in the end, so i am going to be a little tortoise, so great to hear from you and to hear how well you are doing, keep in touch Janie x
    • Posted

Well my middle name is Jane - ha ha. That's fantastic to hear you get out on your bike. So you are doing everything right that you need to do to lose that weight, so well done. Keep going no matter how slow - because as long as the trend is downwards it does NOT matter how long it takes. I just got home from a cycle with my hubby and I conquered this mamoth hill that has been my nemesis for over 9 months now. It is llllooooonnnnggggg and seriously steep and up to now I have always had to drop to 1st gear and still get off half way up. Anyway, just got up it all the way AND in 2nd gear. Thought my heart would burst right out my chest but I am so pleased with myself. And my hubby couldn't believe it - he was still having to wait at the top for me as he's so fit but I got up the blasted thing - I hate that hill! Only trouble is I have done it now and so will have to do it everytime we go that way - groan! Anyway well done, and good luck. Speak soon. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.