New on citalopram - side effects?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking 10mg of citalopram for around 3-4 weeks now and have been getting a dry mouth and slight nausea which I assume is normal, but recently I've become quite tense.  I can be watching tv, driving, sitting at my desk at work, or even in bed trying to get to sleep, and I realise I'm all tensed up so I immediately force my body to relax.  This happens several times a day.  I think I even clench my mouth/jaw too.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm just wondering whether it's a side effect, or whether it's just a symptom of depression/anxiety that I've not noticed before. 

I've just booked an appointment with my gp to review my dosage etc, but just thought I'd post on here to get some feedback first.  Thanks guys!

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Smudger,

Were you prescribed this for depression? Personally, I was back in the summer but I found it didn't agree with me at all and did not stop the depression.

Admittedly, my GP said sometimes it takes weeks to take effect but I felt so unbalanced on them that I had to stop!

Good on you for seeing you GP to have a review. You have to tell him/her what your side-effects are!

Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with Zoe, I was prescribed it do depression, but the Side effects were so awfull! I also stopped, as I felt so ill it made me more depressed! Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Smudger11, 

I had the same as you it was awful but it has worn off. I am on 20mg about week 10 and cut has only recently started to help and have been feeling a lot better. It did take to about week 7 to stop the jaw clenching and hunching of shoulders- I was constantly aching and tried to treat myself to massages. Seeing doc is good idea but upping dose may not be incase it gets worse. I still have some anxiety and insomnia but life in general is a lot better so going to stick on them a while longer. 

I'm still not sure if I would of had quicker effect on another med and maybe better results but going through all initial side effects again is do daunting. I've heard mirtazapine and duloxitine have been good too. Are you feeling any positive effects yet? X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Smudger,

I was on 10mg of Cita for 5 weeks and then the Doc upped it to 20mg which I have been on for over a week now.

I have had the dry mouth, nausea, weird pains and feeling pretty freaky at times, a bit spaced! This increased slightly when I increased the doseage.

I am off work for stress and not too soon as things were rapidly going downhill and I couldn't see it, fortunately my partner and Doc did! Some of my emotions have been inhibited which I take is helping the brain and allowing time for it to heal. I still get anxious when we go into town and I don't feel like fighting my employer (but then that is what they are most probably hoping for!) as I have a case.

Anyway, I see the Doc again today and I think she may suggest upping it again as 10 is low, 20 may help and 30mg should do the trick. I take mine at 15:00 usually with a meal which does help. However, everyone is different!

I do not know what you are taking it for, but it does not sound like your work environment is helping with those other symptoms as it may be just helping to mask the problem not cure it.

Good luck anyway and don't forget the best help for recovery is right here.

Regards, David

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I was prescribed cit 20mg for depression and stress. It has taken until week 7/8 for me to feel like my old self. The side effects I felt are exactly as you describe and I've now been off work for 4 weeks. I've been going for acupuncture to help me relax and sleep better. Everything is going in the right direction so good idea to go and see your Doctor but if you can I would bear with the side effects. I was ready to give up on cit until I read the comments on this forum, I'm glad I stuck with it. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, they've been really helpful. 

I was prescribed citalopram for depression (fairly mild, hence the low dose), and I'm very stressed at work which isn't helping.  I've just ended a relationship too, so I'm not feeling great, but fingers crossed if I stick with it I'll come through pretty soon. 

I'm not feeling any positive effects yet, but it's early days.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up