New on Sertraline

Posted , 10 users are following.

Now on day 4 of Sertraline 50 mg.  I'm so scared and worried about the side effects, is it true you feel worse before you feel better.  I've had the anxiety and depression for around 2 months and I battled up until 4 days ago without medication because it scares me so much. Thought I could do it without meds but realised I cannot do it.  Just feel so awful right now, anxiety is through the roof and feel even more depressed. Can anyone help please?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, I have been on Sertraline for many years and not had any side effects.  It does take a while to kick in and I would suggest your talk with your counselor or pharmasist about how long before you feel help from the drug.  Keep in mind that our processing systems are all different and each of us may respond slightly differently.   Hang in there!
    • Posted

Hello  thankyou for your reply,  its just that you feel so alone going through this, it's very unsettling. I feel worse today than I did yesterday. I will hang in there, I've got no choice now.

• Posted

Dear try AMISAINT PLUS TABLET YOU FEEL BETTER. I HAVE HUGE DEPRESSION ABOUT FUTURE PLANNING BY USING THIS TABLET MY MIND RELAXED
  • Posted

You have to wait at least 6 weeks for the full effect. However within 2 weeks you will feel a difference. Different people react differently to the drug. So it is not necessary that what side effects others are having you will also have it. Other than loss of appetite i did not have any side effects and i took it for four years. I had weaned off but after two months had to go back on it as the withdrawal was unbearable. Even.now its been almost three weeks but no side effects. So hang in there and dont be scared.
    • Posted

Hello Anna,  thankyou for reply, it's a horrible scary place to be right now, I'd give anything to feel like my old self again. I'm already dreading tomorrow because of how I'm feeling today, part of me think I cannot do this. It all seems too much.

• Posted

Thanks for reply green tea but I'm not very knowledgeable about tablets so what are benzodiazepines?

• Posted

I'd like to weigh-in with an observation. I used to feel like I wanted to be "my old self again," but then I finally realized that my old self wasn't everything he was cracked up to be. When my medicine first kicked in, I was shocked to discover that I had never experienced anything close to happiness. It's like the old cliche: The clouds lifted for the first time in my life. People like us don't really know what it's like to be free from oppressive anxiety. I still have problems, and those problems weigh on me, but I'm able to deal with them effectively. If you can just muster enough patience to make it through the first several weeks, you might find yourself experiencing better mental health than you ever thought possible. I hope it works for you the way it works for me. If not, there are other treatments. Hang in there. 

• Posted

I completely understand just what you are saying Phillip, maybe I can emerge from this a bit stronger and confident.  It's going to be a strange journey ahead of me, not looking forward to it but it's got to be done. I love your story though.

• Posted

is it true you feel worse before you feel better

Short answer: yes.

?You will experience side effects during the first 4-6 weeks of treatement. Some of them may be really unplesant. Just tell yourself that no matter what you will continue to take these pills for 6 weeks. One morning you will wake up feeling much better smile

• Posted

Thank you John for your reply, you are right about them being unpleasant. Trouble is I'm frightening myself with all this anxiety, that was one of the reasons I've had to start on the meds. I hope I can soon wake up feeling like my old self again.

• Posted

It's different for everyone, but it usually takes 1 to 2 months for sertraline to start working for me. There's relief within the first few days, but I attribute that to just knowing that help is on the way. I know how you feel about trying to go without meds. I've been on and off of treatment for over ten years, but I've finally decided that the quality of my life (and the lives of my family) is 200% better. There comes a time when you just have to admit that your mind doesn't work the way it's supposed to work without medication. That's me. I'm currently taking 50 mg's of sertraline and 300 mg's of buproprion. There is definitely a chance that you will feel much worse before you feel better, but that's probably just natural impatience. You want to feel better NOW, but it takes time. 

• Posted

Thank you Phillip for your reply. It makes very interesting reading. As you so rightly say our minds don't always work the way you want them to, I know mine is playing havoc at the moment. I'd rather have a broken arm or leg, people can see the plaster and know something's wrong but they cannot see what's going on in your head. Well I'll be on day 5 of sertraline tomorrow and I'm already dreading it. But I've got to do this. I know I shouldn't wish my life away but I wish I could fast forward it about 4 weeks.

• Posted

Don't take them I have PTSD and depression as a result but won't take any antidepressant evet. The side effects are dreadful!

• Posted

Thing is Sam i battled the anxiety and depression without meds but couldn't do it. I tried and tried but couldn't handle it any more and the last thing I wanted to do was take meds. Hopefully it will only be short term.

• Posted

I think it's different for everyone, Sam, because I also suffer from PTSD and the antidepressants have been a lifeline for me. It's different for everyone. I've never had any side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.