New outlook on pain after this op.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am up early to ice my knee as I  was pretty active yesterday and we have some rainy weather today.  It dawned on me that I had a toothache and I took a half of one of my pain killers to work on both knee and tooth.  It dawned on me that I have a new outlook on pain after this operation.  They are going to do a root canal, and not that I'm looking for pain, but I have this experience to compare it to, it doesn't seem so bad.  You know after a couple days you'll be fine.  I guess that is a positive? 

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Yup.....I reckon the pain after this operation is as bad as childbirth but it is relentless, so in a way worse!

However, like childbirth, I am happy to say one forgets about it once it is over!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yep, this op (my second TKR) certainly gives you perspective on pain and how long it lasts.  Hadn't experienced anywhere near it before.

At least I know now I'll get through it, however unpleasant.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't forget to tell your dentist that if you ever have "anything involving pus"  eg an abscess,as my consultant quoted, make sure that you get antibiotics! Apparently infection in a tooth can get into your knee replacement! I will never complain about root fillings after my TKR which is currently wrapped in an ice pack as I did too much today! Glenda (5months post left TKR)
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glenda that was thoughtful.  Thank you.  I had to get clearance from the dentist to get the knee done and have antibiotics on hand.  Keep using that ice!  You don't have to worry about side effects with ice and heat.  I have a hot pad on my hip and will ice my knee after my stationary bike ride ha ha.... (too wet today to ride outside, although if snow stops, I may walk to get some fresh air.  SO nice to not dread a walk!)
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Please note that the same applies to urinary tract infections, hence antibiotic cover before and after the catheter was removed after my recent TKR.  Very important to see doctor at the first twinge of cystitis.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you! 😄 I forgot that one, I should have remembered as I had to have aunty B's before my operation as I had a urinary infection and didn't even know!! It was picked up at my pre op tests! 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up