New pain after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had been experiencing upper right pain under my rib cage for two years. Finally had my gallbladder removed. (Nurse said pathology report said it had chronic inflammation.)

When I woke from surgery, I had excruciating pain on my right side, a bit lower than gallbladder. None of the pain medication even touched it. It was much worse when I took a breath. I felt like I had a knife in me.

Five days later, the pain is less, but still pretty bad. I feel like it’s a little lower than where my gallbladder was, and it feels sharp and raw. It’s worse in some positions.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Kate these pains are normal. You had surgery major. You have about 3 to 6 months of various pains coming. Its all healing inside. Give it time. No fats or greasy foods . watch your diet. This will help you heal also. Don't worry you will be ok. Just rest and let nature take it's course.

• Posted

The pain will gradually subside. I had my gallbladder removed on June 27, and had a similar discomfort for about 10 days.

My surgeon told me to eat less amount of food frequently, since when food passes through the stomach, which will create a pressure to the incision site of the residual cystic duct; therefore, eat a small meal. Do not lift anything more than one gallon of weight. Inside incisions will take between 4 to 6 weeks to heal. Also, sleep on your left side.

Do not reach up your arms for 4 weeks.

Take Vit. B complex to help heal incision sites.

I trust you will feel much better after 10 days.

• Posted

Yes, I experienced this as well ..... in fact,3 years after my GB was removed I still sometimes experience that pain.  It's a bit like stitch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.