New reason for pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

Yesterday was 19 weeks since posterior LHP.  I STILL could not sleep on my side, so went back to my surgeon last Friday.  Xray shows the new hip is doing beautifully, bone growing into it as it should.  But...now he tells me I have trochanteric bursitis which is causing the pain on the outside, and front of the thigh.  He pressed down on those areas and I saw stars!!!  I googled it and sure enough, each and every symptom I have is there. He told me to use heat and then do some mild exercises.  Strangely enough after he told me what it was I had very little pain and was able to sleep on my side all night long!  But just that one night,  Psychosomatic perhaps.  The Google article says the condition can be a result of hip surgery.  Just posting in case anyone else has the problem.  I was greatly relieved to find it was NOT the hip!

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pam,

Ive had trochanteric bursitis for the last couple of years off and on and since my Rt hip replacement in Feb it’s been pretty painful. It’s the same side as surgery. I was in physical therapy for the longest time for this and I’m not sure it did any good.  I agree it’s very painful to lie on or bump into anything like a counter or doorknob. The PT people told me to freeze a little water bottle and roll it over the side of the leg. But I found stretching and heat made it feel better. I did get it injected 2-3 different times with cortisone over a couple of years which was great but very temporary relief.  So for now I’m in the same boat as you, and yes you can’t lie on that side without pain. I can’t take ibuprofen which is what was recommended along with heat and ice.  When my hip precautions are done I will stretch more, but for now it’s heat, stretch, roll, ice.its a very stubborn thing to treat.  Maybe someone else here had had success. Let’s hear it please.

• Posted

It was around 18 months after my revision before I could spend any appreciable time on both sides, and the opposite to the side I had been able to get on before the revision eek.

I had posterior Left THR, and revision 10 weeks later due to errors, but luckily had no bursitis or nerve damage that so many seem to suffer from.

• Posted

I have the same symptoms but find Ice is better than heat. My surgeon now feels it is deep scar tissue I have which is causing the pain. Physio and injections don't seem to help unfortunately. I had THR 22 mths ago

• Posted

Dear Pam, i develop bursitis after nearly 14 months after op. I could not sleep on op side. I went to my GP ,had ex ray and scan and my Gp send me for injection wich help. . I hope you will feel better soon hug Madla💗

• Posted

I had this problem too Pam. Even after six months I still was unable to lie on my new hip, despite it looking perfect on the X-rays and CT Scan. A steroid injection was recommended by my surgeon,  but I put it off as I couldn’t believe I needed bursitis treatment after a hip replacement! At eight months now, I can lie and sleep on that side for half the night, but it’s still a bit tender. I use ice alternating with heat depending on how things feel but I will probably have to give in and have a steroid injection in the bursa. Not too happy about that. It’s certainly a lot better than it was at the beginning after my surgery. Hope yours gets better soon ! 
  • Posted

I had it too, and was a younger patient. I tried massage every day (and yes it does hurt) but somehow worked for me. I also stretched and moved it, and perhaps by doing so inadvertently fixed it. Resting and then massaging, warm baths and warm packs. Don't do too much exercise, as this seems to aggravate it. Gentle exercise and massaging the area. If you can afford to, or have someone do it for you is best as they can get to the whole area.

Otherwise it can be done yourself. Good luck, it should resolve in time.

• Posted

That’s interesting. I had bursitis in both knees after my bilateral TKR caused by too much PT. My OS gave me anti-inflammatories and told me to ice and rest. Didn’t get it with my first hip and hope not to get it with this next one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.