New swelling behind the knee question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Has anyone had experience of develop

ing a swelling behind the knee? i'm at exactly 9 weeks now and yesterday noticed an ache at the back of my knee at the lateral end of the knee crease, and today there's a swelling about the size of a small plum, which is a bit tender. It diappears into the knee when i sit down and sticks out when standing or walking. Should i get it checked out or is it one of the normal healing process stages? It's quite soft to touch. Be glad of any light to shine on this!

Tess

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Tess I am 3weeks, when I exercise behind my knee pulls and hurts a lot. I haven't Got a lump, should get it checked out....
  • Posted

Nine weeks tomorrow and I have a sudden pain at the back of the knee today!  However, I don't have a swelling like you mention, so perhaps better to get it checked out?  Think I may have overdone the exercising today . . .
  • Posted

Hi Tess....sounds like the same as me.....a small Baker's cyst which i still have at 14 weeks. I had it checked at 6 weeks and the surgeon told me not to worry about it and it would probably disappear in time...or not. Since I stopped worrying about it, it has stopped worrying me. Mine is about the size of a cherry tomato, and as you say it disappears into the joint when you flex your knee on sitting. I can also massage mine away and then it pops out again. It really seems to make no difference to my ability to do things.

Best joint in my body now!

• Posted

I had a Baker's cyst before the operation, and I thought that once the joint was removed they wouldn't come back, as it's the synovial fluid which causes them. What a disappointment!  Hope mine doesn't come back.
  • Posted

Think perhaps you need to get it checked out its for peace of mind you don't want any setbacks. Take care
  • Posted

My guess, a bakers cyst. Disappears sometimes, or might need to be drained. Look it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.