New TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

Im after some advice (and possibly reassurance from others). I had a TKR on Wednesday and came home the day after. I've been given the usual pain meds, physio and bits but I'm struggling with the physio. I've sods of bruising - as expected- and wondered when I might start to be able to manage these physio exercises and get some movement back. I can straighten without to many problems but bending is a real issue. Any hints or tips please?

0 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry, just try little and often. You must be tired too! Every hour try a bit of a heel slide as much as you can, just keep it moving as much as you are anle, are you in UK? Did you get an exercise booklet to follow? Mine said "aim" do three times a day. dont worry, it takes time. What was your bend on leaving hospital? Make sure you are elevating the leg, high, toes above nose. As swelling reduces bend gets easier. Check out my profile and blog, but understand this is a very individual journey. Lots of good advice and experience here. "

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi jenny

thank you for the advice. I am tired which was to be expected. Yes in the UK to. Op was done through insurance and went very well. Got a booklet and have been doing what I can 3 times a day. Bend was about 90 when I left it I've more swelling and bruising now. 

Each day I can do a little more and walk with crutches a small distance and I take each positive as a massive leap. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Be patient.  I could not bend to 130 degrees until 7 weeks.  I'm now at 142 degrees.

It will come in time.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just take every day as it comes rome wasn't built in a day

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You're an absolute champion Martin! You're doing so well. Go easy on yourself with physio.  I had my second TKR on 5th May and was in hospital 10 days (did have serious complications) and then went to rehab for 2.5 weeks.  The physio only began in rehab. Just take it easy and do what you can each day.  Will you be having physio? Do they send a physio to you?  I'm in Australia and I guess it's quite different.  It's very early days for you.With the bending just do a bit at a time and try to do a few times a day, just gently.  Take care 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Martin, just rest, ice, elevate. Physio is important but as long as you do little and often but don't push yourself till it's too painful. I found my Physio got easier after about 3 weeks and I was able to do more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

U

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Arnica cream is good for bruising...meant to add that!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No, that is general swelling, rest, ice, elevate. Anti inflammatories, ie ibuprofen if you are taking those may be helpful, but the stiffness lasts for months, just lessens in degree and frequency.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh Yes! ARNICA GEL or cream is great!! Took my bruising down fast. I liked the,gel as its cool going on. Your best days are ahead. You've got great advice here! ! Do as you can. But keep it up. I'm 5 months out now and very happy with my result now. Your Journey is unique to you! Keep us posted. Cheers to good healing!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey, Julia new knee! Glad to hear you are happy! Maybe think about posting a new discussion on the good benefits you are experiencing now? I reckon this really helps encourage people as they can the envisage a positive future. Would love to hear in more detail how things are for you. You are a bit further on than me I think!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Martin,

You are already way ahead of my experience....it took almost 2 weeks before I was able to do anything.... my experience may not typical, but I sure was discouraged.....4 months out, I am very hopeful that I will enjoy life again...

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up