New to anxiety/panic disorder

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband was an addict for three years put me and my 5 kids through hell. I stayed tough.after this last car accident that almost took his life, he finally got sober. As he got sober, i started having severe anxiety attacks... all the bills, fines, court dates, forclosure, kids with school. This last time I wan to take him to court and it was so bad I had to turn around and havent left my house for just about 2 months. Every time I try, i get anxiety attack. They prescribed me Zoloft amonth ago... I'm afraid to take it. I have ativan... I don't take. I just started therapy today... and I want to know is there hope with getting over anxiety? I'm a ball of energy and I want ok of this house.. bad. The therapist said i would always have this and I just have to accept and manage.I want to know I anyone leads a good life with anxiety. Who has it that is doing good.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

tell your therapist that NO you would not always have this. why is she or he so negative instead of cheering you up? i suffered from EXTREME anxiety for the past year and now i am much much better due to the medications i took. at first i was so scared to take the pills, but when i realized that there is no other option i did, and it was so worth it. believe me i was at your place you can check my previous posts and how hopeless i was. Believe me everything wil get better. just be sure that you go to a good doctor that will give you the medication that hopefully suits you the best. 
  • Posted

Hi

I'm afraid it's true, anxiety will always be with you once you have suffered it, my therapist told me the same thing but you do learn to manage it, it won't always run your life. I know Im not 100% but I have improved no end since mine started and the therapy helps. I did take medication for a while but not any more,. If you you are bad and it helps then you should take it until you learn some managing techniques but medication doesn't remove the problem, it only masks it so my advice would be when you are feeling stronger and more confident in yourself to try and reduce your medication until you are off it - but only when you are ready and happy.

It is tough as meds are like a safety net or security blanket but if you have the right tools to manage your anxiety then you will get through this. You may have set backs but you will move on from them with the knowledge that you can cope, they will not run your life, you will run life.

I can be sitting at my desk at work feeling fine then all of a sudden I will be anxious for no reason but I know the symptoms and I manage them and then they pass.

I promise you can do this, it may be a slow road but you will get there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.