New to citalapram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey I have PTSD from the army was on mirtazapine for 2 1/2 years recently been moved to citalapram., the effects are freaking me out.... Anyone else getting:

Headaches

Ghost sensations (empty)

Throat pressure

Tremors

Weak

Tired

No appetite

Toothache

God someone please ease my mind... Been on it 3 days....

Ecg, bloods and thyroid and pee comes back clear as??? So they say it's my anxiety PTSD any feedback appreciated!!! Thank you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I honestly think 3 dys is too early..for those kinds of symptoms..ive been on it for 5 weeks n no symptoms or progress.but i have my ups n downs throughout tha day...oh i membr.the 3 or 4th day.a bruise popped out of nowhere on the side if my calf......i think u have anxiety symptoms...but since ive been on this blog all month I've been reading that alot of people said could take up to 8 wks to fully kik in..uughhhh...n some bump up to 40..im on 20.

An some start at 10 n they bump up.sooooo give it some time n meditate exercise daily....good luck

• Posted

Yeah they didn't wean me off my mirtazapine (30) straight to (40) citalapram was having burning fire sensation all through my body, puking for about 2 hours, kept going hot and cold, shaking,

I only took 20mg today, did a lot better! Still a bit tingly all over and my chest is a bit tight....

Can't be anything else though if I had full bloods ECG and an X-ray and it's all sweet!

Just scares me feel like I'm dying

Thank you for taking time to respond

• Posted

Hi Drew,

All of those symptoms are why I went on citalopram, I'm not medically trained but agree that it's to early for those kind of side effects. Saying that but we are all different !

My own experience was that at the 2 week stage side effects started, I remember asking on this forum for help and advice.

It's not a pleasant journey but stick at it and you will get better! Can't believe this is me saying this. Stay positive! Hope your better soon. X

• Posted

Yes it is too soon to receive all those sideveffects. Maybe its just your anxiety acting up. I heard it takes up to 8 weeks to reach its full power to work. Some go up from 10 to 20. Or 20 to 40. I myself have been on 20 for 5 weeks now an no side effects an not much difference feeling. But i do remember i had a big bruise on side of my calf on the third day. Guess we have to give it time.
    • Posted

Oh man I definitely know I've taken it....

I take it two hours later I feel so spaced out, I cant drive I feel cloudy, I have literally had some rice and a sausage all day and two rounds of toast yesterday! I'm used to gym and eating a lot kept the same military routine... Now I'm struggling with basic tasks like supermarket or conversation with receptionist at doctors I get a lump in my chest and throat.... Am I going crazy? I feel like it... Just grateful not had the fire sensation through my body anyone else get that? Then ice cold? Sorry I'm not trying to scare anyone from using it I just wanted to check if it's normal!

• Posted

Hi Drew,

Hopefully, you are in a support group for your PTSD - as well as finding yourself here! 

Three days is no time at all to allow Cita to do its job. What ever yer added extras remember that now you are on it, although it is not addictive, it is in your system and will take time to come off it so, don't go there! You have to stick it out.

Everything you have mentioned are some of the added extras (side effects sound too neg) that you can get with this sticking plaster for the brain. I can say that I have had most of what you have had and some. As individuals we don't all get the same or the intensity of them either so bear that in mind too.

It sounds like you are in pretty regular contact with the medics and that is the best way to deal with it, as well as being here of course, as most of us have been there mate and are best positioned to help, advise and support. Some of us also know what else you are going through so bearing that in mind you should get the support you need.

As you are new to Cita you won't feel like doing much at all. Depending on your circumstances you will have to adjust and hopefully be able to vegetate when you can in order to let it pass. No one will be able to say when you personally will get through it, not even you so, I always recommend an emergency duvet kept on standby in the room you use the most outside of the bedroom. This is for those days you manage to get out of bed and that is about it. The emergency duvet is there waiting for you to crawl under and curl up in until you can move again!

Re appetite I ate what I knew I could not just swallow, but possibly really enjoy too. Yes, eating what I fancied at the time, call it comfort food, got me through. That accompanied by a good misses, medic, this forum, music, feel good TV (no reality (joke) cr*p or wannabees) just nice things while the cerebral vortex gets as much repair as poss. The more you stress the worse can be.

The main thing is to try not to worry or over think anything whether it is just  aches, pains, symptoms etc., especially now that the medics are saying you are basically A1. I had the same health paranoia, as I call it, had bloods etc., even an ECG the same and even when I got the all clear, it took me a while to gradually calm down and believe and accept the results. The important thing is to always have regular contact and chats about how you are feeling, what has happened in the meantime, with the medics. That way they can reassure you until you come through the other side. We're here too so, don't forget and this forum is an all inclusive club! So Welcome to the Club!

The support is fantastic and it saved me and that is why I am here like others to give something back. Not that I'm 100% yet, but getting there and helping where I can helps me too.

Keep posting, no matter how silly or insignificant you think it may be. Keep reading, but try not to over think or worry, remember no one is exactly the same so what may happen to others won't necessarily happen to you, okay?!

Regards,

David

(Ex RAF & Op Corporate vet)

• Posted

Hello David,

I am not ex Military nor do I suffer PTSD but if I did then I should print your response to Drew in its entirety, frame it ,make a wallet sized print of it and read it everytime I need inspiration, hope or reassurance. I most definitely could not add anything other than some of Drew's symptoms sound more like withdrawal syndrome from Citalopram rather than side effects.

• Posted

Morning Deryl,

Thanks. 

I have experienced withdrawl twice now, the first was when I ran out over a weekend (took eye off the ball because I felt good, I guess) the other only two months ago when I again felt really good, my Fiancee was away and I just didn't take them! I thought I'd learnt my lesson the first time, but this was awful and no one realised I hadn't taken any of my 40mg for until the fourth evening! YUK! The symptoms can be the same as starting over a longer time of cold turkey, possibly, but mine were just a feeling of angst mixed with full on spaced and mobility was a stagger.

So as Drew has ust started I think it is just the usual added extras (side effects)

• Posted

Oops! Accidently hit the send!!!

It is good that Drew is responding to help here and that proves what a lovely place this is to be especially, when we each consider the reasons that brought us here. And the great thing is we know we are not alone!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hello Drew,

First, Thank you for your service!  I am so sorry you have to go through this awful PTSD!  I come from a Military family, of which there are many members.  My cousin is now a retired Army Ranger, he was injured in an explosion, troops were taking him to an undisclosed point when their Humvee hit a device.  He was the only survivor.  So I can at least understand a tiny bit of what you are going through.  Enough said about that...

You are very early on Cital, being only 3 days, and actually this is very normal, albeit maybe more exaggerated for you given your PTSD.  Over the next 6-8 weeks, your anxiety can go up, and down.  Your depression can increase as well.  After about 4 weeks, you will start to feel these things start to melt away.  It is not unusual to start to feel good, then feel like you have taken a step or 3 backward, this is all normal, this is the Cital working on you.  I know this is all sounding scary, and it is freaky, and a lot of us have been through it, it is rough!, but you WILL get through it all. 

Now, all that being said, I need you to make sure you stay in contact with your doctor, you need to keep them informed of how you are doing.  They need to know everything, they may need to up the dose, lower the dose, or add something to help ease the side effects for you, as there are things they can give you, as they might, especially given you already suffer with PTSD.  They may need to change meds to a completely different one.  There is another med similar to Cital, called “escitalopram”, now I don’t know what the difference is, as I am not a doctor, but I have heard the side effects are not as bad.  But that would have to be up to the doctors, it may or may not be right for you, or your situation.  Remember, what is good for one person, is not necessarily good for another.

The toothache could be as simple as...you might be clenching your jaw and may not be aware of it...that is just a thought.  I know when my anxiety is high, I tend to do that.  I had to run an errand, and anxiety was high, went into our bathroom and ran a brush through my hair, and saw it in the mirror...that’s when it hit me as to why one of my teeth was so sore.  I had no idea I had been doing it, so I asked my husband if he had ever seen me doing it, he said yes, all the time.

I know this is a lot of info to hit you with, but I hope this will help you see what you are in for in the weeks to come.  But, keep in mind, not everyone is the same, some of this might clear up for you sooner than later. 

I don’t know if you drink alcohol or not, but this would be a big no-no while you are on Cital.  Given alcohol is a depressant, and Cital just would not be able to do it’s job, and can really mess up your head and body.  If you thing you are having crazy side effects now, well let’s just say it would be about the same as what you are experiencing now.  It would just make things worse for you.  Same goes for recreational drugs.  I am not saying you do any of this, but some people do, and need to know that if they are going to do that, they should not bother taking the Cital.  As it won’t help them.  If a person wants the help, and to get better, then they need to commit to it.  I love a drink, or a glass of wine just as much as anyone, but if I do, I pay for it for a day or two after...and that is a max of 2 drinks.  So, we have to ask ourselves if it is worth it, after going through all of this.  I did it on Mother’s day, 1 drink, and 1 glass of wine, 2 days later, I had a bad day.

I have been on Cital 20 mg for 3 years, and I have been lucky.  I did not have a lot of the issues that most have had.  My doctor started me on 20 mg to be taken at night 30 minutes before bed with a small amount of food.  So, I didn’t have the daytime issues.  It helped me sleep, so I didn’t have the daytime foggy head, I didn’t have the upset tummy.  My eating habit did not really change at all.  But, that was me.  I was not sleeping well at all, so this did help me with that.  I will still have what I call an “off” day, others call it a “blip,” but now I know what it is, I know how to deal with it, and it is usually gone within 24 hours and I am fine.  Cital has really helped me, I just wish I had found this forum a long time ago!  There are a lot of wonderful people here that can help with good advice.  There is no judgment here, as we have been, or are going through similar things, so there is a lot of understanding.  So you keep posting, you are not alone, we are here for you!  I wish you good luck Drew!! 

I am sending you a BIG {{{{HUG}}}} as everyone can use those!! 

• Posted

So the hot flashes, not eating, sleeping, irrational thoughts, tremors are all normal?

Bit of a relief I guess thank you everyone

• Posted

Hi Drew...Yes...I am afraid so, at least in the beginning.  It may not last long for you, as it just depends on each person.  But, do give your doctor a call, like I said, they might be able to give you something to help you through some of it.  I am hoping some of the others that take one of the the meds I am referring to will see this post, and can tell you the names of the med(s) they have been given.  And don't forget, some of it could be exagerated due to the PTSD, as you have so much going on, but the Cital will work, just need to give it time, and hang in there.  I know it is difficult...to say the least.  I hope you have good support at home...family and friends...and of course, we are here for you too!  What dose did they start you on...if you don't mind me asking?  10mg, 20mg...and so on.  I really do wish you luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for all the posts, I'm going to see the doc at 2 today to discuss things...

Didn't sleep at all last night, fell asleep7 till 11 this morning ....

I just wanted to make sure the hot flashes, tremors, vomiting was normal....

A big one::: does anyone have really irrational thought process? Not necessarily bad thoughts just can't control what's popping into the mind like at all??

Thank you again

• Posted

Okay so doc said I had seretonin toxicity...,

I have been told not to take any citalapram or mirtazapine.... Just got beta blockers and lorazepam

Is that safe to stop all my seretonin inhibitors cold turkey like that?????

Please help again.....

• Posted

Hello Drew,

I am no medic but I suspect that these meds will prevent withdrawal symptoms as one of them is a benzodiazepine given to us alcoholics to ease alcohol withdrawal. So don't worry about that (fingers crossed) I assume the lorazepam has only been given for a short term only as they will probably space you out. Once the toxicity problem is sorted you will probably need to review your treatment programme. Nil desperandum the forum is here and there are a number of options to look at when you are ready. In the meantime hang on in there  as they say in AA "This too shall pass" Good Luck Drew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.