New To Citalapram with Side Effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

My dr put me on 20mg of Citalapram daily for stress & anxiety. I took my first dose late last night before bed. Today I woke up nauseous & no appetite. I'm wondering if 20 is too much and I need to half it, or if I need to take it with food. Has anyone had these problems?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They are typical side effects id try and persevere tbh if u can they may get a bit worse over next few days but should settle within 2 wks
    • Posted

Hi Weenett, how's your journey going? Are you still on 10mg? I've had a tough couple of days, especially the mornings, from the minute I open my eyes the anxiety has my whole body tingling and feeling really on edge. I know this is something I have to accept for the time being. I am going to give it another month or so on the 10mg and if it's still proving very difficult I will consider increasing the dose to 20 mg. how are you doing?
    • Posted

Really similar to u im on 15 mg i have had 2 really crappy days. Morning anxiety is still as bad tbh appitite still poor but ive had some other stress goin on so not sure if its the extra stress or the meds not working yet? Been on them 3 weeks now still waiting for improvement
    • Posted

It so frustrating when you get a few reasonable days only to be thrown back into the pit of it all again. My eating went from hardly eating at all and now I comfort eat at night with all the wrong stuff to try and change the way I feel! I still have periods where the anxiety is really intense, I'm going on holiday in 10 days so dont want to risk upping the dose be foreign away. Hopefully some sun, exercise, healthy eating and some mindfulness will help move me forward somewhat. I've got to keep moving in the right direction with trying to help myself. It is tough but I know from the past it is doable. Keep me posted on how 15mg is going as I think that's the way I would go before considering 20mg.
    • Posted

I tried 20 for 2 weeks and should of prob gave it more time tbh but panicked and reduced back! Ur right tho abroad isnt where u want to b dose adjusting! Im so frustrated coz like u ive been on these b4 and im sure they worked faster 1st time but i wasnt so stressed then. Im at the point if nothing improves soon im tempted to try something else! I dont want to but i might have to!
    • Posted

I was on Paroxatine years ago 30mg and they had terrible side effects for me and coming off them ( did it cold turkey ) was a nightmare. However every medication is different for different people, some swear by a med that another person curses. I want to get through this period with as little medication as possible as I want to manage my anxiety problems with healthier living and better stress management. If Citalopram at 10mg proved really helpful I would even consider staying on it indefinitely but make sure I was doing all the other helpful things. I know was the nervous system has become 'sensitised' there is no quick way to turn it off, it takes time and I e got to remember this. It's good to know someone is on a similar journey as my head has me feeling I'm the only person like this sometimes. Keep in touch and update me on how it's going. Stephen
    • Posted

I think in this our own heads r most of the problem! I was on 10 mg of cit with no issues for 2-3 yrs! U sound like you have a good plan with all the other stuff! I think thats where ive gone wrong had heaps of stress but never addressed it just relied on the meds! I hope ur going somewhere nice on hols? Im jealous i live in scotland we rarely get a summer!
    • Posted

Off to the Algarve, I'm originally from Scotland but lived in Jersey for the last 20 years. You are totally right about it all being in our heads. I've just been down to an event which my work are involved in and there was thousands of people there and as soon as I got there the anxiety bordered on a panic attack, I was ready for the off but I stayed and although it wasn't the greatest experience I managed to get through. I also get unreality 'depersonalisation' when my anxiety is really high and this is something I really struggle with as it can happen when I'm giving talks at work. It's a nightmare sometimes but I know the answer lies within me. It's reassuring to hear you did really well in 10mg before, this has given me hope. Thanks
    • Posted

Ooh portugals lovely been there b4! Aw good for u braving the panic out little steps! They say best thing to do is ignore/challenge anxiety an our brains will realise we have nothing to fear... Easier said than done!
  • Posted

Hi Jeanette,  One of my friends that told me about Citalapram, told me she had a tummy problem with it when she first started it too.  But she made it through fine, and is still on it.  She calls it her happy pill.  She also takes it at night.  Because I also take other meds at night before bed, I do take a few bites of something to eat about 20-30 minutes before I go to bed, and have had no problems with my stomach.  It might not be a bad idea, cutting the pill in half, maybe taking 1/2 after dinner, then the other 1/2, 20-30 min before bed. Maybe that would help.  Best bet would be to check with your doctor first though.  Good luck.  If you can get through the first couple of weeks...unless it gets worse of course...you should be ok.  Good luck to you!!
  • Posted

Hi, I take 20mg and I felt nauseous and had poor appetite at first but it passed after about 2 weeks. I've not had any other side effects. :-)
  • Posted

it's normal

u will be fine believe me

but u need to be patiain

• Posted

The other problem is I've just gotten over stomach issues & had just started to get my appetite back, so it's frustrating to feel this way all over again. I've also been shakey & headache off & on. I did not take a dose last night but had all those issues yesterday. This morning I'm a little shakey feeling & slightly nauseous.
  • Posted

Does anyone happen to know how long it will take the one dose to fully be out of my system? It was a 20mg tablet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.