New to Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I started on 20mg per day two weeks ago and thought I would share my experience so far. I have experienced four main side effects from day 2. Extreme fatigue with lots of yawning, nausea but not to the point of being sick, constant oppressive headaches, and the fourth and worst is the significant increase in anxiety levels. This last one is strange - whilst I experienced all the physical effects of high levels of anxiety, I didnt feel emotionally anxious. There is another minor side effect (compared to the rest) significant increase in flatulance (farts). Could be a change in diet due to appetite changes but I dont think so.  

Got through the first week and the nausea started to reduce. day ten and the headaches stopped. Now after two weeks I feel less tired but still get fatigued. Anxiety levels are significantly reduced but still need to focus on trying to feel better about myself to keep the bad feelings at bay.

I dont know whether I am making a better effort to be a nicer person but I am now having a lift in my mood and am seeing the funny side of life much more. I worry less about things that I can't influence and try to be more practical with things that I can. I feel more in control of my environment and more confident in dealing with stressful situations

I am hoping that as I get to week four when I am having my first review with the Doc that I am able to positively say that I feel significantly different. I think at the moment I am making more effort which isnt a bad thing of course.

What does help is keeping your nearest and dearest up to date with what you experience and how you feel. This should be a very practical assessment and not an opportunity to have a moan about life. They will make  allowances and provide support to get you through the difficulties you are experiencing.

Will keep you posted....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Very good summatiom. I didnt commit suicide which i was planning so being still alive is certainly a plus. I suffer amnesia with very little alcohol, farts, yawning, dizziness , disorientation and confusion are a problem but still better than death
  • Posted

I had all the signs you have described here. I am at week 5 now. Majority of the side effects are gone by now. Still have insomnia, but also slowly improving.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thats good news. I am hoping the heart pounding and shortness of breath that kicks in after 2 to 3 hours of taking the tablet setles down. From your experience that seems to be on the cards fairly soon. best wishes for the future.
  • Posted

I guess it's a matter of a trade off for me. plusses and minuses and the emotional improvement was worth the side effects. Otherwise, I'll just wait and see
    • Posted

The good news is that you are talking is a positive and not a negaitve manner. Focus on the better things in life and for the time being dont deal with the bad stuff. Do that when you are more emmotionally stable and better equipped to be more objective.

• Posted

iam now on day 6 .First couple of days were horrible .Kept spacing out , headaches , felt sick and was dizzy .I take mine 9pm everynight and now on day 6 im feeling good.First anxiety was really high , now its really improved .Only side effect left is sticky red eyes.I finf this is because i spend allot of time staring haha .But im feeling really hopeful.Yesterday i went for a 6 mile walk too and felt it really helped :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.