New to Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

My doctor prescribed me 20mg of citalopram yesterday, have been feeling unable to cope with all sort of things etc, am a little worried about the side effects, took one yesterday afternoon, was very sleepy last night, just taken another one, worried I am going to be lethargic at work.......

Daisy

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I'm recently back on citalopram and I'm the same worried about side effects etc..I started mine at a week end and take it at night before bed only because when I Took it in the morning it was hard to function.

It's different for everybody but hang in there if you can

• Posted

Hi Daisy,

Try not to worry about the side effects even though you may still experience some. Not everyone has the same type, amount or intensity of side effects as others, purely because we are all unique with no two people the same out of the whole universe! Also, while you are a part of the forum try not to worry about what other people post re side effects because again, it may not affect you in anyway at all.

Cita is a great sticking plaster for the brain and you just have to realise you have to give it time to repair that which is damaged. Again, this periiod of time is different for everyone so, remember just let it take as long as it takes.

I, like Kathkat, and many others take Cita just before going to bed and I really believe that it does its best work when I'm asleep, leaving the day free to get on with my life. However, it must be said that if you do experience side effects then remember that will happen whatever time of day you take the dose, but it is not as bad during the day if taken before bed. Whatever happens please do not miss a dose as this can make you will pretty yuk, nor should you just stop taking Cita because you will suffer withdrawl. Cita is not addictive however, once it is in your system and working you should never just stop and go cold turkey. If, when you are better (which may or may not take time) and you are ready to reduce then we'll help you when that happens.

n the meantime whatever you feel, leading to any questions you have, irrespective of how silly they may sound, don't worry, just ask! We have all been there and asked the same or similar. Some people are starting now like you and can also help with shared experiences, but again they may not all pertain to you.

The main thing is not to over worry or over think whatever comes your way. You are not alone and we're here to help, advise and guide you through what we have been through too!

One thing to be aware off you may (or may not) experience anxiety or if you already have it you may experiences;lightly heightened anxiety - do not worry! This is quite usual for Cita because it causes it to be able to treat it as soon as possible and once that is treated it can get on with the rest. I didn't think I had it, but I did experience it and it was a little bit strange along with a feeling of seperation, but it soon passed.

Anyway all that remains for me to say is Welcome to the Club! You will find the help and answers on this forum, I promise, because it (along with my GP and Fiancee) saved my life and thge journey was well worth it in becoming a better, healthier and new me!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

thanks David, am feeling quite positive about it all, and seem to be feeling ok, ie no side effects, but it is only day two smile

I will no doubt ask lots of questions

Daisy

• Posted

Do Daisydoo!

Yep, it is very early and do not hesitate to ask anything. Sometimes you will be inundated with replies and other times you get the feeling yer being ignored (but that is usually at the weekend when the lazy louts are laying in!). Just remember to expect the worse then everything less is a bonus.

A couple of things I'd like to add firstly, if you do get side effeccts make sure you keep a record of what happens and how you feel (if you can, or someone else close) so when you visit yer GP (which is advisable at least once a month throughout) you can keep them up to date with everything and they can treat accordingly. Secondly, you may need an emergency duvet on standby in yer favourite room other than the bedroom, for the mornings you manage to get out of bed, but that's about it. An emergency duvet is a nice place to be when you feel yuk. You just crawl under and curl up!

There are some wonderful people on this forum to help and everyone soon helps each other as well!

I will say no more, but wait and see how yer doing!

Have a good weekend

David.

• Posted

you   must remember to look at the bigger picture. the side eefects are just awful for the first month but after that youll be much happier and far less anxious. the side effects will be horrid at first but the bigger picture dictates that these tablets will make you feel much much better when your system gets used to them.  try guided medditations ion you tube or ask the doic for some valium to help you cope with the worst bits. trust in me. i have done lots of research. dont give up and never go onto the net to research what people have said. youll only get the opinion of people who were negative, short sighted and gave up on cit after the first few weeks cause they didnt like the side effects. i am in month five and these pills have changed my life.
    • Posted

Thanks for you comment, too be honest I am feeling a tad worried re the side effects, nothing to note as yet, but then I have only been taking them since Thursday, are side effects common for everyone?

I do feel anxious at times, and my mood has been low, and my home life hasn't been good, which has added to my anxity and mood.  My partner doesn't know I am taking these, I think the possible side effects would freak him out as much as they are me.

• Posted

ok so of course it has to be about whats best for you. not whats best for me, but i would defo tell your partner. he will be hurt when he finds out if you hide it from him. share the experience with him. he can support you. i think most people get awful side effects. but they only last two weeks and you can get through it by focusing and remembering they are just for a  few short days. this is an incredible pill that can give youa  much easier life. your mood will be low for the first little while but by the time you go uop to 20 or 20 mg you wont be phased by anything. they dont make you feel numb. they dont stop you from feeling. they are an incredible pill. but you gotta work with them and not fight the bed feelings for the first little period. you will get through this. if after 3 months it didnt work then maybe try another pill. please dont be afraid. you can do this. you can do anything x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.