New to citalopram - opinions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had originally posted about this in the depression thread before I was directed here! I started taking citalopram 10mg yesterday and I'm generally just a bit nervous about the effect it will or won't have on me. Perhaps it was coicidental but I noticed just about 2 hours after taking my very first pill that I felt woozy with very heavy eyes and a sort of dull headache. It lingered around for a while but it was nothing too much to deal with. Today a similar thing has happened but it feels a little bit worse, if these are direct side-effects then I'd like them to clear off as soon as possible but if this drug has even a chance of helping me feel somewhat better then I'll be willing to persevere through it. I've seen some say it took anywhere from between 2 and 8 weeks for them to start to feel a notable difference, I just want my life and my old self back...

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yesi had the same after 3 hours of taking, side effects got worse so I stopped. Trying to manage with just sleeping pill from doctor every other. Isn't as I can cope in the day, but stress and have nightmares at night. Having councelling instead, doctor suggested prosac instead of cit if I aunt as less side effects. Good luck
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you! I'm hoping for better things for myself but I'm still very much in the early stages of course, I didn't get the chance to discuss councelling with my doctor at my last appointment but it's definitely something I would be open to trying, will need to have a think about it.

All the best. x

• Posted

Hi there,

I've been on citalophram for 10 years now (i'm 26). The first couple days I took it, i felt a little dizzy / nauseous. After that it was smooth sailing! Everyone is different, sometimes it takes a week or longer for your body to adjust to the medication. 

Honestly, I started taking this medication when i was 16 and about to drop out of high school because i couldn't even sit through a full class without having a panic attack and having to leave. it basically saved my life, and even 10 years later as an adult i couldn't imagine going off it because i can't risk going back to how i was.

i feel completely normal, i don't feel like the drug has changed me at all, it basically just helped tone down my anxiety/depression so that i could be myself. of course i still have anxiety/depression from time to time but it is 100% more manageable.

if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

• Posted

Thanks so much for this reply! I've found it really comforting being on this site at all only just since yesterday, I suppose I should have known that reading up on others' experiences would settle my mindset a little. 

I'm pretty much exclusively taking citalopram for depression, in the past I struggled with anxiety (which I think I feel relatively in control of now) and my depression kind of snowballed with that I think, so much so that I just can't get a hold on it myself. I had been hesitant all this time to turn to medication because I feared I wouldn't return to my old self, but some kind of mindless drone instead. It's such a horrible feeling just knowing that you're a shadow of your actual self, so I'm hoping that if I stick this out then I'll get my personality back again and also just start to enjoy things like I used to. I can't keep going how I have been.

Thanks again! x

• Posted

You're very welcome! I know the exact feeling. You should feel proud of yourself for taking a step forward and refusing to let it take control of your life.

I obviously can't guarantee that it will work for you but I truly do feel like it helped me live my life as myself instead of a scared and depressed individual.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

I definitely would persevere. I have had my old life back again....I have been taking C for about 2 years - 10 mg. I used to have about 6-8 attacks of anxiety/depression (with all the concomitant physical symptoms) every year. Now it's maybe twice a year at most  (about 10 days each time when the doc prescribed upping the dose for a while)and I have stopped feeling afraid of feeling bad.

I honestly can't remember how l,ong it took for the effect to kick in, I'm afraid. Not long.

The only thing I have noticed is vivid dreams and some night sweats, but I am post menopausal anyway and always did dream!   I can drink in moderation. I have noticed that my nose sometimes bleeds for no apparent reason, so maybe the blood thins a bit???

Don;t give up - good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reassuring and kind words! I'm now on day 3 and find that the side-effects are getting marginally worse each time however I know theyll pass eventually as my body adjusts. I'm unsure if it's too soon to comment but I haven't noticed any changes in my dreams however I'm relieved about that thus far - something that's been worrying me upon reading that others have experienced very vivid dreams or sleep disturbances is that I used to suffer from sleep paralysis and it's certainly not something I'd like to return, so hopefully it stays away and taking citalopram doesn't somehow trigger it happening again.

My doctor asked that I go back for a review after a month so if there's anything I feel I can't deal with then I'll be sure to let her know, but I'm just so glad to have finally taken the step I needed to for so long in getting help. I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.