new to citolpram (20mg)

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have just been given these tablets by my doctor today, I know i need something to get me through the way im feeling right now, but reading the problems with these tablets, has frighten me. I'm having enough problem getting through how i feel and seems these tablets will make those problems worse before they get better.. should i try something else?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sapphirenights

I was on the same mg as you since oct 07.

it takes a couple of months to feel like you are getting somewhere but its worth it.

Most days I feeel great, I have increased the dose to 25mg for the last 2 months, its only a little increase but it makes me feel better.

Be prepared to sleep a lot or it could go the other way and you can't sleep.

be prepared to take the time off work and spend sometime in bed relaxing.

At times you will feel down, its not a miracle drug. Like I say most of the time I feel great.

Another thing is trust your doctor, tell him/her how you are feeling. they have seen it many times before and will be able to judge if you need to increase the dose or change to another type of medication.

I hope this helps you

Stay strong and stay brave

Julie x

• Posted

I cant afford to take time out of work, as money problems are helping in the cause of my depression. Is there anything i could do to avoid taking the tablets? I went to doctor because ive started to self harm and thoughts of suicide, even as far as planning it all out. he told me to excersice (swimming), but as i also have a problem with faceing people in public, i cant see myself doing this. Really would like to avoid making myself like a zombie before i can get better.

Yvonne

• Posted

Hi

Your health is worth more than anything. I know what you mean about needing the money but you have to put that to one side.

I to had thought like yours. Thinking of the best way to end it all. Thinking if I did it this way and if it didn't work then will I be left with terrible scars of medical problems. And if I did it that way would it cause a lot of pain.

This is not the way to go. I'm so happy I didn't do it. I have so much in front of me. I enjoy looking at different colours and shapes and watching people do their own things. It made me a stronger and calmer person.

I also worried about money, but now I'm feeling better it isn't such a heavy weight on my mind. Its still there and will be for a few more years but its getting sorted.

Even if you think you have nothing left, there is always something you can enjoy. It may not feel like it at the moment but you will find it.

Do you get sick pay from work?

Maybe citizen advise can help you with your money worries

Julie x

• Posted

No i dont get sick pay, its just a casual job..

I do know one day ill get through this and i do know i have things to live for, just sometimes all that fades away when i feel bad.

I will try starting the tablets when i havent got to work for few days, and see what affect they have on me. It was just reading that they can make you worse before you get better that frighten me, dont feel thats the way to go, when so near to the end of what i can handle in my life.

I think maybe i should ask the doctor for a support group, talking it though maybe the way to go.

Worth a try ?

• Posted

Hi sapphirenights

Your worries are entirely understandable and familiar to so many of the people who have posted on this site - you are not alone!!

People react to these tablets in different ways and undeniably, there can be side effects to them - for me they were pretty mild. Talk to your GP about what support is available to you. Let him or her know your concerns, your fears, and remember that you have as much right to his or her time as anyone else.

The most important advice I could give is to try and be kind to yourself. Listen to what your body is telling you and try not be critical of yourself.

Good luck & best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.