New to div

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

kinda lost an confused as of what’s goin on because this is all new to me I’ve been dealing with this for 2 weeks now an after being released after 4 days in the hospital an minus 14 pounds I’m finally home. But now what? Not really sure what to eat? What’s the best medication? Should i go natural? I’ve found myself in a worst emotional place ever steady worrying about what’s happening to me an what’s next....ive found this forum extremely useful as I’m reading you guys story an overall knowing I’m not alone ...as i sit here typing this it’s my first morning home an i feel funny not knowing what to eat I’ve been on the internet literally all night reading an listen i would love to hear about what you guys started off eating an drinking an what medication works best. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, and a newcomer to this forum. So glad I found it. I've pretty much lost my appetite, weight coming off fast, but I'm going down the natural path and the first thing Im trying is termeric, supposed to be good natural anti-inflammatory for the bowels.

• Posted

Thanks for your response an I’ll look into termeric...i wish you the best of luck with this horrible  disease that we have an I’m pretty sure with proper research an positive changes to our diet we will be fine... just try an stay positive an we will get thru this stay blessed an happy holidays 

• Posted

I Have fybergel mabevarine and a probiotic tablet every morning. I don't eat nuts pips red meat skins   I would stick to a low fyber first for a few day.  Keep a food diary   It's trial and error. Good luck I hope you feel better in yourself   Merry Christmas 

• Posted

Hi Nervous,

I am about 10 days out of my ER visit.  I can't take cipro, so I am taking Augmentin only.  I took only Advil for pain, it helped with inflammation too.  I was given a strong narcotic but chose not to take it as there are side effects from that!  Dont wanna add insult to injury.  I know some say not to take Advil, especially if you have bleeding.  I had an abscess but little or no bleeding. I had been pretty slow in the motility dept for quite some time, I am sure that contributed to this latest bout. I rested A LOT with a heating pad, and that was good! I did 5 days of clear juice and broth with collagen/gelatin sprinkled with some turmeric.  I believe it helped me recover quicker than my first bout with D. I am still not %100 for sure. I have added potato soup and canned fruit and some gluten free crackers.  I can't do wheat or much dairy anymore, haven't for a number of years.  I take probiotic several times a day to help with the antibiotic.  I am also petrified about eating anything else! Lost some weight, I am small to begin with!  I am so sorry you are dealing with this!  Food is one of life's great pleasures!

Feel better and be kind to your body!

• Posted

Thanks for responding I’ll  definitely  have keep a closer eye on what goes in my body... just doing a lot of reading an research on what i think will work for me as this is all new to me ...i wish you luck on your journey to recovery. Happy holidays and stay blessed 
  • Posted

Hi

I would start off slow and stick to mainly fluids and low residue foods.  I expect you won't have much of an appetite anyway, as a result of the side effects of the antibiotics.  So, soups (preferably home made with stock and not laden with cream, butter, fat), mashed potato (again not laden with butter, cream), steamed white fish (no batter), grilled chicken, plain yogurt, jelly, white bread, scrambled egg.  As you feel better you can introduce more stuff and keep a note if anything affects you.

This takes a long time to get over, particularly if you were bad enough to be hospitalised.  I found it was about 4 weeks before I started to feel better.  You can expect to get some niggles of pain - it takes time for your insides to heal.  You can also expect your bowel to be irregular, possible with constipation and/or the runs.  Again, side effects of the medication, not a lot going in, and low in fiber.  The other thing with this disease is the depression and loss of confidence people experience, particularly relating to the time it takes to feel better.  This is normal and you WILL pick up.  I lost 8 pounds in 10 days, but it went back on again.

My doctor prescribed a daily dose of Fybogel (USA=Metamucil) but there are other soluble fiber supplements.  I usually start that after I've finished the antibiotics and I've been taking it for 16+ years.  Also a probiotic to replace the good bacteria in your gut.  Antibiotics don't discriminate between good and bad - kill 'em all!  Then slowly build up to a diet high in soluble fiber.  Along the way you'll discover if certain foods make you feel worse, so you can eliminate them.  A good post to look at on this forum is Divi Diners.  Happy Holiday with grilled/broiled turkey and mash!  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi

I would start off slow and stick to mainly fluids and low residue foods.  I expect you won't have much of an appetite anyway, as a result of the side effects of the antibiotics.  So, soups (preferably home made with stock and not laden with cream, butter, fat), mashed potato (again not laden with butter, cream), steamed white fish (no batter), grilled chicken, plain yogurt, jelly, white bread, scrambled egg.  As you feel better you can introduce more stuff and keep a note if anything affects you.

This takes a long time to get over, particularly if you were bad enough to be hospitalised.  I found it was about 4 weeks before I started to feel better.  You can expect to get some niggles of pain - it takes time for your insides to heal.  You can also expect your bowel to be irregular, possible with constipation and/or the runs.  Again, side effects of the medication, not a lot going in, and low in fiber.  The other thing with this disease is the depression and loss of confidence people experience, particularly relating to the time it takes to feel better.  This is normal and you WILL pick up.  I lost 8 pounds in 10 days, but it went back on again.

My doctor prescribed a daily dose of Fybogel (USA=Metamucil) but there are other soluble fiber supplements.  I usually start that after I've finished the antibiotics and I've been taking it for 16+ years.  Also a probiotic to replace the good bacteria in your gut.  Antibiotics don't discriminate between good and bad - kill 'em all!  Then slowly build up to a diet high in soluble fiber.  Along the way you'll discover if certain foods make you feel worse, so you can eliminate them.  A good post to look at on this forum is Divi Diners.  Happy Holiday with grilled/broiled turkey and mash!  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I really appreciate you taking the time to read an respond really glad that I’m not alone i will take head to the things you’ve said an figure out what works for me happy holidays an stay blessed..
  • Posted

I try to stay away from nuts, anything with seeds or skin. I don't have very many attacks but when I have them they are bad. Really painful. I found that sometimes you can bind your food a little with white bread. I don't know if anyone else has the same experience...it wheat bread without seeds. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice cause this is all new to me and anything will help! Stay blessed an happy holidays!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up