New to Diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 32.  I was in the Emergency Department this past Sat night for several hours with severe right sided abdominal pain, suspecting appendicitis.  After CT scan, was diagnosed with Diverticulitis.  It was the middle of the night, after no sleep, and in terrible pain, so I didn't ask many questions and was't provided with much information.  From what I find, right sided Diverticulitis is not all that common?  Dr. didn't tell me the extent of what they found and gave me very little information.  Was put on Flagyl and Cipro twice daily for 14 days, along with Vicodin and Zofran PRN.  Almost 5 days later, still in pain, nauseous, and feel terrible.  I'm dizzy all the time and very tired.  I had gone back to work after 2 days which I can barely get through the day.  I don't know if my ongoing symptoms are more medication related or from the Diverticulitis. 

I do have a follow up with my primary Dr. tomorrow, so I can ask more questions, just looking for advise from those who have been in my shoes I guess as to what to expect in the future.  Are further tests needed to make sure it clears up?  They did not tell me to alter my diet, but had no appetite and did 3 days of liquids and only soft foods after that..Any help or advice is welcomed.  Thanks!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your diverticulitis. I’ve been dealing with it for over 25 years. Right side is not as common, I have it mostly on my left but have some on right. Where is ur right side pain, lower, mid, or upper abdomin? My pain is in my lower and mid abdomin. But I also have upper right pain, my gallbladder. Make sure they check that too, it can cause all kinds of weird pains. A simple ultrasound can see the stones.

My diverticulitis usually gets better with antibiotics, but this time it’s not, so I’m getting a resection and my gallbladder removed in 3 weeks. 

Good luck to you. 

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed several years ago, so that it not an issue at least.  My pain really is all over on the right side starting from umbilical area over.  Would say mid and upper abdomen is the worst.  How long after antibiotics does the pain typically go away?  Is there a point when it should be gone by or to start worrying.  It has improved over the 5 days (i was in tears any time I moved) and it's still pretty bad, but much more tolerable.  The information on the web is pretty limited and I tend to let my mind wander to all the "worse case" scenarios.    sad

• Posted

I got admitted to hospital last Monday with severe left hand side pain and fever had ct scan which confirmed diverticulitis with localised perforation , so they clearly told me the extent of my condition .

I stayed in hospital and was closely monitored and put on intravenous antibiotics for 6 days then released with further 2 days oral anti biotics 

I felt my pain staining to go away after two days then gradually got better by the end of the week .

• Posted

In the past for me usually a diverticulitis attack lasted 2 weeks and started feeling better after about a week of antibiotics. But this time I was on antibiotics for a month orally than 4 days in hospital IV antibiotics. The antibiotics this time made me sicker. My doctor put me on Apriso to help with the inflammation and after 3-4 weeks I think it’s beginning to work. They use drugs like Apriso for Colitis and Crohns, but recent research shows it works for diverticulitis as well.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully the oral antibiotics do the trick for me, do NOT want to have to do the IV therapy with 2 small children at home.
    • Posted

Good luck on your surgery -- Hopefully no complications and a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Sounds like side affects to Flagyl it made me so dizzy and shooting pains in the head and you name it after 7 days on it I could NO longer stand the side affects from it!  I was switched to bactrium only and it worked fine!  
    • Posted

Will have to discuss with Dr. tomorrow.  It is definitely a horrible feeling.  Almost like I'm drunk or something.  It's hard to describe.  I would love to switch to something different.  Thanks for the info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.