New to diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone this is really embarrassing but I have to ask someone who knows.

Last May I had an abscess on my bowel was rushed to a hospital in lancashire while on holiday. I had a laparoscopic operation which was successful but was warned I may have needed a stoma. I was warned not to eat pips and go to my gp in my home town.

I went to gp who referred me to endoscopy and was told following sigmoidoscopy that I had diverticulitis. Apart from some tenderness in my left side I have only had one flare but I now find that some bowel movement has small bits of I don't know what in can anybody tell me if this is ok.

Susan

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

what is pips?   Are you talking small pieces of just bowel if not  explain a little bit more into details so I can answer you better.
    • Posted

I think he meant fruit pips don't eat them

• Posted

I think if you are worried you should go speak to your GP. Sometimes I get strange looking poo but I don't think I have had bits in it. 

• Posted

Sounds normal to me certain foods eg sweetcorn show in your pooh. I also was told not to eat food with pips but i ignored it and have been fine. Trial an Error i would suggest. Hope all is well,
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I frequently have bits of undigested food in my poo as well - sweetcorn, skins etc.  All the things which are insoluble fibre that the body can't break down.  I am guessing that before your illness you never took any notice of your contents, but now you are super aware and have noticed it.  If you are worried you can ask to see your GP and (I know it sounds gross) ask for a specimen jar before hand and take a sample.

It does take some time for the symptoms to subside after a flare - weeks or even months.  Also after your operation you will take time to heal inside.  It took over a year after my last bad flares in August 2016, but before that it always took a good month to settle down.  I suggest you keep a food/lifestyle diary and see what, if anything, makes the niggles worse.  Some people can eat most things OK but others of us have to avoid certain food.  For me it is gluten/full fat, for others red meat, dairy, nuts, seeds - all sorts and we are all different.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.