New to flu

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys. I'm just found this site yesterday and reading the old posts has made me feel better knowing that I'm not alone.

I'm not from the UK, I'm from Singapore and I'm only 17. My life seems ok, I have a great family and a boyfriend but yet I still feel that life is meaningless. I'm lonely all the time even when I'm surrounded by people.

I went to the psychiatrist on Saturday and he prescribed me 20mg flu. It's only my third day on flu. I know it takes a long time to take effect... I'm so impatient I just want to get better now.

There's no one whom I can talk to about my depression. Most of friends know about it but they just don't understand.

This morning (it's 9am here) I woke up at 5am feeling so panicky. Took some anxiety pills and went on this site and felt better.

Thanks for reading. I hope I can offer support to people here =)

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi gravitygirl

Welcome to the site...its nice just to know that you're not alone isn't it. You are very early on into your treatment so the best advice i can give you would be to be patient....not easy when you feel low i know!

I hope you find the help and support you need on here and wish you lots of luck with recovering from your depression x

• Posted

hello and welcome gravitygirl

This is my 10th day on flu and just like you, I too feel impatient and want those quick results. It's something we just have to bear with and 'go with the flow'. I'm glad you found this site as it's very supportive and the people are great. It's so easy to give up in the early stages of taking flu.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. Take care.

• Posted

hiya gravitygirl :cheerup:

welcome to the machine gravitygirl :mrgreen:

dont forget this affliction of ours is a PHYSICAL illness (a lack of/imbalance of neuro transmiters in the brain) and can still strike us down whether or not we have 'good' lives :wink: :?

age and indeed country borders are no barriers to this indiscriminate illness, i suggest you use the net to find out everything you can about this illness, dont forget, \"knowledge is power\" :wink: :mrgreen:

good luck to you for a speedy recovery, dont hesitate to ask questions or seek reassurance on this site :ok: :rainbow:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :cheers: :rose:

• Posted

Thanks for the replies smile I had a rough night and woke up panicking again but I suspect things are looking up...
  • Posted

It's 2am here in Singapore now... I woke up because of chest pains and nausea. I feel so horrible now... It's the first time I'm feeling such bad side effects. It's my fifth day of taking flu. I also took it with Xanax for the first time today, I wonder if it's because of that?

I don't know how much longer I can hang in there...

• Posted

hi gravitygirl :cheerup:

after doing a bit of research, i think its more than likely that it's the Xanax that could be causing problems, Xanax can ineract with fluoxetine :? certainly the chest pains you refer to are NOT usually associated with Fluoxetine, another possibility is that it's anxiety, plain and simple :cry: are you diagnosed as having anxiety as well as depression ?? the nausea can be associated with both drugs AND an awfull lot of other stuff that has nothing to do with your depression etc gravitygirl :roll: :wink:

if it were me i'd continue with the fluoxetine and forget about the Xanax as it has potential for abuse/addiction and interacts badly with alcohol and grapefruit products believe it or not :shock: :wink:

either way have a word with your psychiatrist he/she knows what's best for you as we're all different :wink: :mrgreen:

try and hang on in there gravitygirl, it really IS worth it in the end, it just takes time im afraid :? :wink:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :ok: :rainbow: :rose:

• Posted

Hi Gravitygirl,

Keep ya chin up lass. Just remember, at 17 there are so many other things going on in ya body that symptoms can battle for supremacy. As Ken said, depression is no respector of geographic or social boundaries. Like you, if I look at my life I don't really have anything to be deopressed about but here I am.

This site is a great place for good old support which is what we need in the end. Not sympathy necessarily but empathy definitely.

You WILL feel better. May not feel like it but I am sure you will.

All the best,

Lelly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.