new to Fluoxetine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Today I finally saw my GP after a downward spiral of feeling very very low and useless. I was put on a 6 month course of Fluoxetine.I would love to hear from anyone else who has been prescribed this.How long before I feel better and will I be likely to need it again after my 6 months are up?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi! 

I started feeling a bit better after 3 weeks of being on fluoxetine. But really it was week 5/6 that I really felt they were working their magic and people around me noticed too. 

Side effects can be not very nice but stick with the pills and you'll soon get over that hurdle. 

Keep busy and it's great if you have someone you can confide in and rant to! 

Good luck

Xx

• Posted

Thanks magia

I don't really have anybody to confide in that understands so find talking about it on here helpful.Take care and glad your feeling better

Hez x

• Posted

hello Hez, welcome to club fluoxetine! I'm a relative beginner, day 19 of a 20mg daily pill. must admit my doctor did'nt give a time scale as such, gave me 1 month worth with fortnightly reviews to see how I'm getting on, in fact I saw him last night for 1st review.......to be honest I personally am having a hard time with it, just wheb I thought things were getting better they have gone downhill these past couple of days sadly. I'm stressed to hell today which is'nt great, I truely thought by now I'd be showing marked improvement sad but we're all different so maybe yours will kick in before this time period, I hope so. But if you read other posts on here I've read that it can be 6 to 8 weeks before any signicant improvement shows....... my patience is wearing thin but I must persevere as god knows what the alternative is, one day at a time I guess. As for whether you will need Fluoxetine after 6 months is hard to say, depends on the individual I guess, I think for some it can be quite long term but thankfully it is'nt addictive like diazepam etc so generally I'd say it's kinder to the body! best of luck with your treatment and feel free to keep us updated, everybody on this site are really friendly and helpful....caio
    • Posted

This was really helpful.I know changes won't happen overnight but if I feel better in even a month it will be a godsend.Not looking forward to any subsequent side affects but if the long term outcome is good, I can put up with that.

I have to go back to my Doctor in 4 weeks but to ring if I feel I need to speak before that.Work have offered me counselling but I am going to "wait and see"

My husband, as usual, has his head in the sand and thinks the pills will do what he doesn't have to!

• Posted

Hello Hez. Happy s after Fluxetine 20 days ago. I am feeling quite a bit better already. My main problem at th moment IS side effects of shakiness and tremblyfeelings. I am very glad I found this website, as the support from others has been  VERY helpful. Hang in there, I  am   beginning to see a light at the end of this awful tunnel !
    • Posted

Sorry, the first part of that reply makes no sense! I am using a very new phone to rEply, and am still get U used to it!!
    • Posted

Thankyou

It's good to hear from others going through the same thing and what to look for.Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi david/hez

I cant say how long itll take to feel better as only on day 17 but most people seem to say 6-8 weeks.  I too am struggling but am determined to perservere. The shaky/jittery feeling became very pronounced for me too and doc gave me propanolol last week which did seem to help with that but I am left with the  nausea which I cant seem to shake and is knocking me for six.

Its a long road by the sounds of things but a worthwhile one, im glad youre getting a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel david!

Like david says talk to people on here, they understand what we're going through and have come through the other side. Ps hez if youve been offered counselling its worth a try!

Good luck all x

• Posted

Good for you, Hez! As I understand it, what my GP told me, is that you need to commit to at least six months of taking Flu. I have vague ideas of staying on it for a good while longer if it works for me.I'm on my fifth week and started to feel better after week three - still get odd spasms of anxiety but nothing I can't deal with now I have the knowledge and tools to do so - it's only adrenaline, slow, deep breathing and distraction. Physical exercise also helps a LOT but motivation is hard to find.

Counselling is a great help! Someone impartial but knowledgeable to talk to, off-load, poor it out to, and who can fully understand what you are experiencing. I'd grab it with both hands!! Yes, please!! Or do it through your GP if you have issues with doing it through work. Should be entirely confidential.

Self-help books can be invaluablle - give you understanding of what is happening to you and how to work with it - the magic word is "acceptance".

Good luck on your journey and keep coming back here to tell us about it and to get support. The early days can be rough but you must stick to it!

• Posted

Hi Carl,

Good to hear you are doing ok. I'm also on fifth week (20 mg), and felling better week by week. This drug is incredibly slow to work, but seems to work for many people.

Next week will be my sixth, and I will visit my doctor again. Depending whether I've have improved from fifth to sixth week, I might ask for a higher dose or not. So far 20 mg is doing ok.

• Posted

Hey  danilo!

How you doing?

I'm going to stay on 20mg until I am well into my six months at least - say ten or twelve weeks, well beyond the six to eight before we can think the Flu has fully kicked in. I want to stay on as low a dose as does me good! Like you, 20mg seems to be doing the trick for me - mind, I think self-help is an important part of recovery. I'm off out for coffee with a friend - part of my 'therapy'.

Go well and stay safe..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.