New to fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've just started to take 20mg and I'm on day 3. I don't feel too bad very tired but it's making me anxious worrying about the side effects. How long does it take before you start to feel normal again?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

im sure you have probably read lots of the posts about expereinces with prozac. Reading helps me understand this process, everyone is different, you may have few side effects. Try not to focus on what you MAY feel, its normal to feel anxious, nauseous, little appetite but these will go.

as for feeling normal again its a very slow acting med, therefore it can take many weeks. But think positive everyday you are getting closer to being in that normal happy state again. Ive been taking prozac for 19 weeks, my anxiety is definately much improved, im on 40 mg.

20 mg may suit you and do the job, but it wont happen overnight. You will benefit from being busy, trying to take your mind off how you feel. Can you knit? Read a book, watch a funny DVD. Walking, even short ones, go to shops, library etc. Eat small meals, veges, fruit, plenty of filtered water, take care of yourself. 

As i said everyone is different and you may recover in four weeks, but it seems that eight to twelve weeks is more the norm.

there is a post here that gives a general time line, over twelve weeks and what to expect.

good luck, keep reading here there is great support for us all.

caroline 🌺🌸

• Posted

Thanks Caroline. I'll have a read. I've just had surgery so the worst thing is I'm in bed recovering for a little bit so I'll read some books x

• Posted

Hello Sarah......I just wanted to add a few words of encouragement.  Carol62649 is absolutely correct in everything she said it will take time don't get discouraged usually you will feel worse before you feel better.  The medication has to build up in your system and that will take time it took me 6 weeks to feel better not perfect but I did see improvement.  Try not to spend alot of time thinking about it just tell yourself I will be better soon because you will.

• Posted

I'm on day 4 and no side effects.

It can take 1-2 weeks to notice any effect on mood sometimes longer.

3-4 weeks you should see some improvement most find it takes 6 weeks but if after 2 months you feel absolutely no improvement you should talk with your doctor.

Day 3 is really early and if you do get side effects they'll be manageable.

I found citalopram made me nauseas and tired so I started talking it at night after i ate so the upset stomach wasnt so bad.

• Posted

Hi.sarah.it can take up to a month to properly get into your system ..I've been on them for years and it truly has made me a better person .you just have to over the tiredness .one day you will get up and a light has been turned on that's how it 2as for me .kind regards dianne..ps I never had side effects does not effect everyone .x

• Posted

Hi Diane,

How long have you been on them? My doctor has said min 6 months. I do hope one day I just start to feel like me again and my energy returns. Thanks for the reply x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Not everyone gets harsh side effects, so do not despair. I had almost none taking 20mg in the past. And if you do get them, they will subside eventually; like others already have said here, give it 5-6 weeks to start seeing imore mprovements. Expect some up and downs so don't get discouraged if you have suddenly low days after some good days. Stay strong and be kind to yourself. Hugs.

• Posted

How are you feeling now? I am on day six of 20mg and I feel my anxiety is higher at some times .. It could just be because I keep fearing I'll never get better and be on this drug forever .. Trying to read posts and find comfort. Hope you have had positive results..

• Posted

Hi there. The posts have been a life saver for me, really reassuring, when I was feeling at my worst. I am on fluox 7 weeks today. The first 4 weeks were really rough for me, my anxiety was also higher than before the meds, but I have been much better in the last 2-3 weeks. I know what you mean about the fear of not recovering. When feeling even worse in early stages of the meds, recovery feels so impossible. But people do recover. Some take medicine for long and some are able to come off it. But for now we have to accept the help of the medicine, as a start of the recovery! smile We can all do it. All the best! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.