New to forum

Posted , 6 users are following.

Asking for advice. Hi I'm 51 going through the menopause I hadn't seen for 7 months then the last 2 periods have been horrendous. I have a small fibroid. My period is very heavy and I keepgetting terrible pains in right groin area then il pass a clot an the pain will ease off I'm waiting for appointment with gynaecology iv had one but thought I'd finished having periods but now there back even worse any advice what you think may be done don't like the sound of a coil being fitted

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi i dont have a fibroid but suffered 2 years of horrific pain and bleeding. I didnt want a coil either so opted for euterine ablation and now 8 months later wish i hadnt. I now have to wait till November to see if the pain i get which is worse than before goes if not ive told them i want a hysterectomy although they still insist a coil is my best option.

Dont let your gynae bully you into something u dont want x

• Posted

Hi Diane, the size of the fibroid unless they are pressing on other organs is not relevant. You could have a small submucous fibroid which are known to be heavy bleeders! They could resect this with hysteroscopy. Until you know what is causing such heavy bleeding you won't know your options.

I had multiple which were pressing on bowel/ bladder and opted for hysterectomy which sounded drastic at 55 but with family history of bleeding past 57 unmanageably I have no regrets. I avoided coil at every offering. It's NICE guidelines to offer cheapest possible solution first. It taking a year to settle or work is considered success.

Hope you get sorted it is misery!

• Posted

I was offered the mirena coil for post menopausal bleeding past 2 years now.  I declined, also another told me there's needed to be removed and it couldn't be found, so would need an anaesthetic to go in and locate it.

I had a small fibroid with large blood supply which was removed and sent for histology which was thought to be causing the problem, but 4 weeks after the op am still bleeding whenever I pass urine first thing in the morning and after bowel movement. 

I am on HRT which might also be the cause but was on it for a year before the bleeding started.  I never had any gynae problems prior to the menopause, only since.  I am going to ask if i can try a different HRT or if not try to come off it but suffer with arthritis which was worse when not on HRT.

All best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Diane, your bleeding is most likely from the fibroid(s), I would not advise the coil. I am 58 and have been experiencing the same bleeding on and off for several years. I have several fibroids, and I have used Esmya to reduce them over the last 18 months. They keep growing back however, which is infuriating. But my bleeding is much lighter when it comes, and I have had 2-3 months with no bleeding in between courses of Esmya. I keep hoping they will eventually stop growing, don't really want a hysterectomy........

• Posted

hi christine, I've been diagnosed with multiple fibroids as well. Im turning 50 this october and I don't want to undergo surgery.

Are you planning to take Esmya until you have a menopause?

• Posted

Hi Eliza, well I should be through menopause now but I'm not sure as I've had such erratic bleeding for years. I never had hot flushes etc until I took Esmya though. I have to pay for the tablets as I live in Spain and my medical insurance doesn't cover gynae problems as they were preexisting, and they are really expensive, so I really don't know. I am bleeding on and off again now, but it's quite light and manageable. I am also still having hot flushes despite finishing my last course of Esmya 3 months ago so fingers crossed it really is the menopause. If the bleeding gets worse I have been thinking about getting UFE treatment.

• Posted

thank you christine for the reply. I hope I can get in touch with

you always. I am also waiting that I hope I would menopause soo as I could feel some symptoms for menopausal. Please keep in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.