New to Forum and April Appointment with Consultant

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good morning.  I admire all of you who have gone for the surgery and wish you a speedy recovery.  I am seeing consultant in April.  I did reply to Molly, however, I am not finding this site easy to negotiate but no doubt I will learn.  Basically I am ashamed of my deformed feet, especially the left one, 'hereditary' bunions, hammer toes, etc, etc.  I am 70 this year and feel up to getting it done.  I suppose you could say on my bucket list, however, when reading your stories it makes me wonder whether to cross it off.  Thank you for this discussion it is helping me to really think about it.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gilly, I am a mere youngster of 70 the same as you. I had my left foot operated on 12 weeks ago. Listen, it's not half as bad as what you think, you know. I had the bunion removed, the big toe straightened and two screws inserted during the reconstruction, using the Scarf Akin method. I had a general anaesthetic, was in hospital overnight and was home the next day. The first 2 weeks you have to stay off your feet with the foot elevated higher than your heart, to cut down on swelling and pressure. Then you return to the hospital at 2 weeks to have everything checked and the bandages changed. Until 6 weeks you still keep the foot elevated for most of your day and elevate it on pillows in bed all night for 6 weeks but you can walk a little using crutches for a few minutes around the house; putting as little weight as possible on the heel of the bad foot. After six weeks your bandage is finally removed and the foot is X-rayed. If all is well you can begin putting your full weight on the new foot.

Resting with the foot elevated as high as possible is crucial for the first 6 weeks and even after that if it becomes a little swollen at times. The pain was not bad at all, in fact I only took a few paracetamols in the first few days and that was all. Nerve pain and aching will happen but this does lessen gradually. I am delighted with my operation results, done here in the UK. The foot looks beautiful and my first reaction when I saw it was "Wow, look at that!"  So, to repeat, I am 12 weeks post op now and back to walking, driving, shopping, housework and gardening. It aches and swells ocassionally if I have been doing to much but I put my feet up for half an hour with a cuppa, and it's fine again. I am so delighted with the results and wish now I'd plucked up the courage to have gone earlier. Like you my bunions were hereditary and my left one was the most ugly although I was self conscious of both of them. Now I can't wait to get the right foot done in Sepember. You'll always hear horror stories; it's a bit like going to the dentist or having your first baby - everyone has a horror story. Everyone is different though and there's loads of us here who have had successful and positive experiences. Go for it gal - you've got years ahead of you yet and 70 is nothing! Good luck. LadyPink

• Posted

Thank you Lady Pink - for being so helpful and supportive.

Perhaps we need a 'pre-op nerves' and 'post-op support'.   My Mum is 92 and she is amazing and after writing her Will said now I'm going back to feeling 70 again.  

So roll on April for my appointment and all the questions.

• Posted

Hello,

I had bunionectomy with osteotomy with internal fixation and lapitus procedure. (2screws on top of foot and staple in big toe, bunion removal). I'm now at 5weeks into recovery. I a total 8 weeks no weightberring. I have to say it hasn't been easy for me. I'm 33, fit. So I thought it would be easy for me. I've had a lot of pain the 1st week and fire burning pain since then. It is getting better everyday. Most nights I do not sleep because of this fire feeling in my foot. (Everone is different) Today; I would say:don't do it, think long and hard because the pain can continue even after the surgery. Unless you have to do it.like your foot is too bad to live with then maybe. However, I'm still early in my recovery and who knows what it will be like for me in the future. I saw my foot last week an it looks really good. Minamal bruising, and looks really strait. People asks me if I will do my other foot, and I say, "no way" its too painful, the recovery is too long for me to bear. I'm use to running around, running errands and stuff. Hard to me to sit still. My advise to you is think long and and hard. Do your research,get a good Dr.,and Dr who won't mind giving pain meds. (It was like pulling teeth to get pain meds from my Dr) Make sure you have someone by your side to help. Prepare for the first few weeks with food and money. And when your sitting there in pain, just remind yourself why you did this. And that your foot will looks better when it done. I'm still on the fence whether to recommend this surgery.

What ever you decide, I wish you the best and this site is the best. Everyone is here to help. It will be your best friend during you recovery.

Hope this helped and not confused you any more. Lol

Good luck!!smile

• Posted

You are all being so helpful and thank you for taking the time to give your experiences.

My Mum lives on her own and I take her out once a week for shopping and lunch.  Also Doc, etc appointments. (In fact I could have seen the consultant on Monday but it coincided with a long awaited medical appointment for her that I have to take her to, so cancelled mine.) Then I have her on a Sunday for lunch and evening.  Now I am seriously thinking how this operation would affect her... my husband is not as patient as me.  mmmm......

• Posted

sometimes we have to put ourselves first, im sure your husband will find some patience good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.