New to group

Posted , 13 users are following.

1week post op. I knew it was going to be painful however I did not expect it to be constant. I thought it was only me who had problems at night but from what I can see most of you are having difficulty sleeping. Can't sit, lie. Stitches out next Monday n physio on 31st. Not sure how much I should try n do or if I am doing damage. It's all very depressing. Can't wait to say it's 12 weeks post op. Also just diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am 53 so but scared what mobility n old age has in store

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maura, I know exactly how you feel. That's what I thought, I knew it would be very painful but had no idea it would be constant. I am 16 weeks now and would say everything's about perfect. Still doing my knee bends to keep flexible and wouldn't really be able to do lots of stairs yet going down anyway without practice. At the beginning, I cried a lot and wondered if I should have even done it or not. Each week got a little teeny bit better and better and better and better. By six weeks I had definitely turned a corner. Eight weeks was so much better than six weeks and 12 weeks with so much better than eight weeks. Trust me it gets better and better all the time. I slept on top of my bed at night, even though I didn't sleep much, but couldn't stand the covers on me and it was really hard getting up to go to the bathroom at night if I was under the blankets and comforter. We had a raised toilet seat on the toilet in the master bedroom but it was so hard to get out of bed I didn't always make it. The best two things for me at the beginning was my meds and ice. Last night and many nights I have trouble sleeping because of my hip. I'm going to get a Cortizone shot soon in my left hip and eventually a surgery. I was thinking laying there last night, my knee doesn't hurt and if I have my hip surgery eventually it won't hurt either. My heart goes out to you, hang in there!

• Posted

Thank u Nancy for your response. Can I ask u if it is the hip on same side n did u have probs b4 in your hip as it was my right knee n since yesterday my right hip is sore n I am hoping it's just a sympathy pain with knee 😝

• Posted

Mine aches aswell but I think it's because I'm walking very ungainly and not distributing my weight correctly x

• Posted

Maura, there is a very good osteoporosis site on patient info, so I'd suggest joining that.  You'll ideally want your hip and spine scores to know where you are on it and what action you decide to take.  I hope you feel better with your knee soon!  I know it varies hugely from person to person and even knee to knee in the same person!  From what I've gathered though, the important thing is to start bending straight away to avoid scarring limiting the knee bend.  That seems to be where the biggest damage is done - people not doing the exercises they've been told to do.  I hope you've got pain meds if you need them?  Also, keep it elevated and iced.

• Posted

Good luck to you! One day at a time. Somehow we all make it.
  • Posted

Don't worry it will get better, don't get down if you can help it, it does drag you down the pain but try to get out and walk and do heel slides if you can also try to sit in xhair and get it back towards the chair leg it does help, but don't push the exercises tooo much.  I was in a hurry to get going, but some days I just felt as if I wanted to sit in a corner and cry!! take pain killers regularly to stop the pain becoming too intense.  the nights are literally a "nightmare" can't get comfy, can't sleep I spent night after night watching my IPad for hours.  but you are not the only one, I'm 10 weeks now and feeling much better make sure you ice it and raise it.  NO ONE TELLS YOU how awful you are going to feel, but there is light Inhooe this helps, message me at any time xxxxx

• Posted

I'm three almost four weeks out and those darned heel slides are plaguing me. I have a really sharp pain in the left side of knee in the joint. Just can't get past that pain.

I know we have to push doing the slides but how painful should it be.

• Posted

I have exact same thing when I try to bend my knees on a stair step. I do it till I can't stand it and hope it eventually gets easier. I'm 8 weeks out. Lord I hate this!!

• Posted

I always wonder what's normal.  My PT says it's ok, that I'm bending 100.  I knew there would be pain but wow, ....

• Posted

I get slight pain on the lower inside of the knee doing those on the bed Duckfan, but never have been able to get nearly the bend on those that I can from the chair.  I don't get the same pain doing the heel slides on the floor either, do you?   But it's this trapped pain in the back of the knee that's terrifying me now, when I get the bend between 115 and 120.  I'm terrified that it's impingement.  Anyone had experience of impingement in the back of the knee?

• Posted

I know. It's frightening if you don't know what's going on. What does your pt say?

• Posted

Duck fan, 12 weeks. I get pain there constsisrently. Started in the early days and never got rid of it. I get it mostly with heel slides but also while walking. It is not that bad that it concerns me but I may have become complacent.
    • Posted

I hope it is nothing serious! Personally I have been better, then back to absolutely miserable so many times in the last 12 weeks. I don't know how to answer "How are doing" anymore. Keep us posted! Best wishes!!

• Posted

I'm SO relieved - the physio said it's normal LOL!  It's just that I'm a bit too enthusiastic in pushing the bend:-)))  I've had so little pain that this came as one hell of a shock LOL!   Phew - I was so relieved to talk to the physio at the hospital and they were SO sweet!  You know, just reading this thread, our experiences are all SO different and so many aspects change or heal at different times.  I had my staples out a week ago yet my scar is still scabby and bumpy, whereas with some it seems to have healed completely when their staples come out.  But even my staples left holes from bleeding LOL!  But I'm not complaining because I've definitely had far less pain than most and if the other knee doesn't wake me I tend to sleep through.  I've not had painkillers for ages and it's only three weeks this week from the operation!  So I think it's a real roller coaster really and you don't know what to expect, so hope for the best and expect the worst.  I've seen so many times that the same person having two knees done can have a totally different experience with them both, so it's never a dull moment! 

• Posted

Phew! Dodged a bullet. Really relieved that pt says it is normal. You have been doing so exceptionally well, a complication is the last thing you need!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.