New to group and scared out of my mind!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I’m 50 yr old female. Early February, I was diagnosed through ER with Diverticulitis. 10 Days on antibiotics. Last week I went to my Gastroenterological doctor to follow up. I think she scared me more than anything. To put my mind at ease I’m having colonoscopy next Tuesday. In the meantime, she told me to take Mirolax every day to stay in front of the constipation. I’ve done so for four days, but yesterday and all of last night I have tremendous pain in lower left abdomen. It comes in waves. When I cough or sneeze it hurts, but does not hurt when I press on abdomen. I don’t know if it’s a flare up or a side effect from the Mirolax. I’m waiting on a call back from my doc. Anyone experience anything similar? Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was told too to take Miralax everyday but find every other to be better for me.

The point is not to get constipated and it’s a trial and error situation.  Watch the fiber you are introducing to your diet. I find out I am sensitive to it at times and I get cramping from it.  Stay on a soft diet for a few more days. It does take time to get your system back to normal. 

Patience is imperative with this disease and always remember if you get a fever or just feel something isn’t right go to your doctor. 😘

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! My doc did say to bulk up my fiber intake and to exercise. Also, drink lots and lots of water! I’m not going to take the Mirolax today to see if it makes a difference.  She also said bread is evil : ( I guess I have some serious changes to make and I’m so totally going to make those changes - especially if it will prevent me from going through this yucky stuff again! 
  • Posted

Hi Teresa

Pain that comes in waves could be a sign of a flare up, IF you have a temperature and fever/chills.  So I suggest you take your temperature and if it is up you have an infection and need to see your doctor.  If it is not, it is probably related to your diet plus Mirolax.  When people are told to increase their fibre, they often go overboard.  Getting the right amount of fibre is a bit of a balancing act.  It should be soluble fibre (ie well cooked peeled veggies, possibly as soup or puree), not insoluble (ie skins, corn, All Bran) which are hard to digest and come out as they went in. 

But if you are having a colonoscopy next Tuesday, you will be put on a low residue diet for a few days, then fluids only for a couple of days, (both give the bowel a good rest) plus the delightful prep which will totally clean you out.  Most people find the prep is the worst part of a colonoscopy, and the results should give you peace of mind.  Best wishes.

I found it was the gluten part of bread, cakes, pastry, pasta that was my problem so I switched to gluten free.  There are other things apart from Miralax that do the job just as well, so if one doesn't suit, something else might.  But yes, it is necessary to drink plenty and keep the bowels empty.

• Posted

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in April. They use a local medicine but done knock you out. How bad is it? My upper GI was ok I was awake but didn't feel a thing.

• Posted

The worst thing about a colonscopy is the prep smile    Honestly the procedure itself is not bad at all. Don't worry!!

• Posted

My diverticulitis symptoms were not like yours. If you are in that much pain you should go back, perhaps try a different antibiotic. Please let me know how you do. People with severe diverticulitis should not have colonoscopies. Have you had a catscan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.