New to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I have recently started Mirtazapine as a replacement for Sertraline (that I really couldn't cope with due to the extreme side effects I experienced).

I was only on Sertraline 50mg for 7 days and then 100mg for 2 days and after GP advice went to every other day and stopped.

I then started Mirtazpine and apart from sleeping for most of the day after the first nightly dose, they seemed okay apart from the urge to snack! and being a bit sleepy (This is day 8 of Mirtazapine 15mg, and I am to go to 30mg in week)

However, I am now constantly jumpy and have pretty constant palpitations.

Have you guys experienced palpitations/jumpiness on Mirtazapine? or you reckon its Sertraline withdrawal?.

I'm asking as its not listed on the side effects pullout, and a Dr Google has scared me a bit.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peter. For me it depends on the brand of Mirt. I've tried 3 different random brands (depending on pharmacy stock) since being on them & the one that always gave me palpitations were made by Genesis pharmaceuticals. The 2 other ones I've had from Almus & Aurobindo have been fine. I told my pharmacist this & he doesn't think it would make a difference but I really think it does. Certainly not my imagination.

• Posted

Thanks both,

Unfortunately, I have had to come off them.

After a week, my resting heart rate was 20-30+ bpm over what it used to be.

So at 110-115 is wasn't good. I was hitting 130 just getting up going to the toilet.

This didn't include the constant jumps at any noise I wasn't expecting, or even watching tv.

I was too scared to do any exercise.

Saw my GP and he said to come off them. NOUMED is the brand on my packets.

Back to the drawing board. Apart from the heart rate and munchies, I was doing ok on 15mg.

I'm not having a lot of luck.

Thanks again.

• Posted

could you not gave tried 7. 5mg? i went totally nuts in 30mg of mirt. had what you described. I was ok on 15 mg. maybe lower dose would gave been ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.