New to Orlistat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself here and say thanks as i have been reading the posts and gaining tons of info over the last 2 days, waiting to be a 'registered user' lol!

Im Sian, and i started taking orlistat monday, first thing that springs to mind is im glad i started the low fat diet a week previous to taking this tablet as i hear that could of given me side-effects almost straight away.

I have pcos so im using these tabs to help me lose weight as my BMI is to high to get any more help from the doc's regarding fertility treatment!

My gp gave me barely any info regarding this pill except for saying it had 'nasty consequences' if i didnt stick to a healthy balanced diet etc - im def not up for seeing these consequences, and as a result after 2 weeks of eating right, i feel great, no bad tummy, although i now know i need plenty of water, as i think im feeling some of the constipation effects

I have been making a few mistakes, major one being i thought i was supposed to be counting saturates, but i now know its total fat!!! and another i made was that i thought per meal i as only allowed 5g's of fat, making it a total of 15g's a day lol dont know where i got that from. Think the one mistake has balanced out the other lol! im gonna carry on wot im doing i think till i manage to get on a scales!

Its only my 1st week on them and i hope i do well, got to go back in a month and see gp - she asked me to lose a couple of pounds, but im hoping for a bit more than that.

Just wondering how long everyone has been on them? Is it longterm or? Also im a bit concerned about variety, i feel i have been eating the same kinda range of foods, does anyone else feel like that? and its only been 2 weeks lol!

Thanks for listening, hope to chat soon

Sian

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

you should be able to have a varied diet so long as your not a fussy eater. think of meals you like (pre-diet) and think of ways you could make them with substitutes. you can get low fat versions of many foods and also its about how you cook then, grilling on a george foreman (or similar) is a healthy way to cook foods.

i had previously been on these for almost a year, i have pcos too and i lost about 2 stone, i am starting back on them this weekend as i put a lot of weight back on. as for how long you'll be on really depends on your gp, some ask for you to lose so much per time, others give a percentage over so many months etc and these dont work for everyone so its just a case of 'suck it and see'

water is good for constipation, its common to get constipation while on these, either up your fibre intake (i.e eat bran flakes) or take some senakot when feeling bloated

good luck smile

• Posted

Hi sparkles, thanks for replying!

Im definitely not a fussy eater, so i will think a bit more carefully about variety, the last thing i want is to get bored and discontinue with it! i already eat bran flakes most morings, so i will def keep that up!

I guess i will have to see my GP then, hopefully i will do well!

Thanks for the advice, i hope you do well again with them.

Sian

• Posted

Hi Sian B. Sounds like you are doing all the right things already, even with very little advice. I have found this website invaluable. I am lucky to haveno other medical conditions, well, not ones that would affect weight loss really.

I am not the best cook in the world so there are times when I worry about getting bored with the same old thins but I am learning how to make some different things and whilst it is not good tolive on ready meals there are new low fat ones coming out all the time and adding veggies or a salad makes it a bit different each time. At the moment I have a chicken stew in the slow cooker ready for tomorrow and Tues tea. I guess it's about planning. I found my most difficult days are the ones where I don't.

As you can see I've lost 18lbs so far, plenty more to go so I wouldn't say the tablets are a short term thing.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly smile

• Posted

Hi sally.

I learnt most of what i know here in a matter of hours, thanks to you guys, its great!!

At the mo im still feeling it out, and like u said about planning- i have pretty much 2 days ahead planned, each thing i cook i try to make at least 2 portions out of, then add, jackets, salad or veg to make it a bit different each time.

One thing im a bit concerned about that i forgot to mention is at least 3-4 times a week my evening meal is about 10.30pm, i work split shifts and by the time i get home, heat up food(i pre-cook most things) its that late. Does anyone else have this problem, i know its not great to eat so late at night but then im up till at least 1am most nights too. Its a difficult one i think!

Im not the best cook either, although its a big part of my job, on my days off or when i get home its the last thing i want to do! I would say im doing so well because i have a lovely partner, who loves to cook, and is pretty organised, he probably knows the fat contents better than me at the mo lol.

I will def look into a couple of those ready meals tho, i think i saw asda mentioned a few times, i will check them out.

18lbs is fab! i hope one day i will be able to post that too!

Thanks again.

Sian

• Posted

Hi Sian Asda do a range of Low Fat range in the freezer last time I looked they were 5 for £4. They are nice by themselves or with a jacket potato. They do some in the chiller but they tasted horrible.Tesco do a low fat range as well.

I found that alot of part baked baguettes are often low fat and are delicious with soup or to eat with low fat spread, cheese or jam.

Good luck :D

• Posted

I don't know if you have a Morrisons near you but they do a good low fat range too. Their Cumberland Pie with some veggies on the side is one of my favourites.

As for eating late if that's your job then there is nothing you can really do about it. It's not nearly as late but I usually don't have my evening meal until around 8 as my partner does long hours and it doesn't seem to cause me too much of a problem

Keep us up to date with your progress

• Posted

Hi there my name is Claire

I have lost about a stone since the begining of November (3 months). I am currently going through a platto, which is frustrating, but I am obviously sticking with it. It is alomst my body does not want to go into the next stone range. Although I have celebrated 3 birthdays and Christmas in between so I must not grumble. Good luck

• Posted

Hi trying hard!

Well done on ur weight loss, i hope to follow in your foot steps, fingers crossed!!

Just did my shop at tescos and pick up a couple of the light choices meals, got a couple of fish pies, and a corned beef hash to start with, im looking forward to them already lol

The only bread i have been eating is pitta, its lovely toasted in the toaster, but i have been missing normal bread as i used to eat alot of this before, which besides crisps i think was one of my problems, i will def have a look for the part baked stuff, it would be lovely to have a change lol.

Have you found a nice low fat cheese? im not a huge fan but it would be nice to have the option!

Hi Sally, i do have morrison's near me although im normally a tesco girl, but asda and morrisons are on my list now too lol.

Yeh i cant get around the eating late thing, theres no way i can fit it in during work either, so i will have to see how that goes for now, of course then i would eat much earlier when im not in work, hopefully it will balance itself out!

Just wondering how much time you guys leave between meals(taking a tab which each meal). Its just that i missed breakfast yesterday so had lunch about 2.30ish, then had a light choices dessert about 2hrs later, then had a then had another small meal a few hours later lol, taking a tab with the three meals, is that too close together? - would the tabs still work like that(i wont be making a habit out of it of course) or was it pointless?

I will def keep you updated, thanks for ur support!!

OH happy valentine's to everyone aswell!! im going for a challenge this lunchtime, we are going to harvester for a nice lunch, 1st time since i started the tabs tho so im a bit nervous, i wont be taking a tab with luch tho, just in case, im hoping to be good, but also hoping to be able to eat more than just the salad bar lol.

Hi claire, a stone is great, well done! im glad i started at the begining of the yr, so far away from xmas, and the majority of birthdays with my family and friends are the end of the year, so that will help! However i am having a 'naughty' lunch today lol!

Good luck to everyone

Sian

• Posted

Dear Sain

I take mine at each meal regardless of the time difference. My timings are more regular on week days due to working Breakfast - about 8.30-9 Lunch about 12 and dinner about 5-5.30, but weekends are all over the place, sometimes missing meals altogether. All I know is 3 times a day with a meal is best, and if there is no meal or no fat meal then don't take one.

Weight watchers do a part baked bread range if that helps, and my local Tesco's stock it

Hope this helps

Claire

• Posted

Thanks claire, i think it should be ok then, as there was fat in the meals, just ate them closer together than i usually would because i knew today i would be a bit all over the place with my lunch out etc...

Right weight watchers bread is also on my list now lol, at this rate im gonna have to watch the pennies i think lol, im spending a lot more on food, i think, i will have to work it out! Its a small price to pay tho if im gonna get healthy and reach my goals though eh!!

Thanks again

Sian

• Posted

Hi Sain

eating healthier does cost more.

Some fruit loaves and hot cross buns are fairly low fat.

Regarding the cheese I sometimes eat extra light cheese singles. Ordinary cheese is still high fat even when it's stated as low fat and is usually expensive so I tend to avoid it even though I love cheese or just eat a very small portion of strong cheese. x

• Posted

Hiya, thanks again for the tips, i really appreciate it!

Will look into those ideas, especially with easter on the horizon

Sian

• Posted

No Problem Sian

You'll get used to looking around for lower fat alternatives and make your mind up if you can get used to the lower fat alternatives. Don't forget Quorn is low fat. If you want something quick and low fat try packets of batchelors rice, Asda often have these on offer. If I'm feeling really hungry I cook a packet of batchelors rice with packet of Beef risotto and share it or eat the other half cold the next day.

Make your own soup or veggies stew by boiling then simmering vegetables in a pan, ring the changes by using more of certain veg. I add veg stock. You can freeze any extra.

My favourite meal that my family like for a quicker sunday lunch is lean pork loin chops brushed with olive oil. Pour a little extra olive oil around the chops and sprinkle frozen peppers, onions and mushrooms around and top of the chops. delicious with a jacket potato and veggies. Not tried it with chicken but bet that would taste just as good. :D

Don't if I mentioned it but I've cut down on tea and coffee and therefore milk as well in the week by having a cup of tea in the morning and two or three in the morning and take bottles of No Added Sugar squash . My fav at the mo is Asda Cherries and Berries. I really enjoy my cup of tea when I get home. :P :D :D :D :D

• Posted

Hi trying hard, thanks again for the fab advice!

I have already picked up some quorn sausages and burgers to try, then was thinking of using it in a bolognaise if i like it! i discovered the rice packets, even the uncle bens micro rice is good! have to becareful tho because of the high GI value in it.

I have the stew sorted already lol without dumplings lol my partner makes sure he separates my portion before adding those sad lol

Yes tea and coffee check! i only recently upped my intake of tea and coffee, never really been a huge fan thought really so cutting that right back now is not a problem!

Thanks again

Sian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.